Terragen 2 Release Announcement Discussion

Started by Oshyan, December 12, 2007, 07:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Costaud

Quote from: Kevin F on December 15, 2007, 04:32:25 AM
Quote from: Oshyan on December 14, 2007, 04:02:43 PM
We only have a limited pool of multi-core alpha test systems available and .....
- Oshyan

I have a dual processor system ready and waiting! ;D

I have dual processor too but on 2 different machines, one is on my old 10 years old computer and the second is on my 4 years old machine.  :P

sjefen

This is great news

I was just wondering if there will be DOF in the final release in February?
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Will

hopefully but if not they I think a depth buffer would be easy enough to add but I'm no programmer so I could be talking out of my ass right now.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

sjefen

There is already a depht shader we can use, but I think it's to much work. You have to assign the depht shader to everything in your scene.
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Bitboy

Since we're discussing multicore/threading, I have another somewhat related question:

I'm using Vista Ultimate 64-Bit on my Quad Core 2.9 GHz (with 8 GB RAM) and was wondering if there will be a 64-bit version of TG2 eventually? TG2 should have no problems running on Vista 64-bit right? Just installed it and haven't tested TG2 on it yet. :P

On another note I only saw this announcement on the mailing list and haven't received any official email from Planetside. Same problem with the last beta release announcement. Some problem with my registration email info?

Thanks for a great program :)
Regards,

Michael Englyst

Oshyan

Sonshine, we'll definitely try to improve the warnings dialog to be more useful.

Quote from: Kevin F on December 15, 2007, 04:32:25 AM
We only have a limited pool of multi-core alpha test systems available and .....
- Oshyan

I have a dual processor system ready and waiting! ;D
That's exactly what the beta is for. ;)

Bitboy, we do intend to make a 64 bit version available at some point but it won't be possible to have it completed by Febuary. We will be working on a number of free updates to Terragen 2 throughout 2008 and 64 bit support should be included at some point in that time.

If you have not received update emails, please contact registrations@planetside and let them know about the problem and what your current address is. Also be sure to add @planetside.co.uk to any spam filter whitelists you may have.

- Oshyan

dhavalmistry

ah...is the 16 texture limit been fixed for the beta or final version???
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Oshyan

Quote from: dhavalmistry on December 15, 2007, 02:59:25 PM
ah...is the 16 texture limit been fixed for the beta or final version???
Unfortunately no, but again that will be improved as we move forward in 2008.

- Oshyan

Costaud

We will of course be conducting internal testing prior to releasing the beta. We would like the beta to be reasonably stable but the changes to the renderer are significant and multithreading in particular can be problematic. We only have a limited pool of multi-core alpha test systems available and there is quite a wide range of possible multi-core configurations when you take into account hyperthreaded P4's, the various generations of true multi-core CPU's, different operating systems, etc. The important thing is that the beta process will give us a much broader range of test subjects and allow us to ensure that the final release will be as stable as possible.

Subsurface scattering probably won't make it into the February final release but it should be possible in a future update.

- Oshyan

No subsurface scattering, too bad it's one of the features in which I have most interest.

Cyber-Angel

What about the long vaunted bolder generator, is this still been worked on; or is now planed that people just use the "Fake Stone's Shader"? It has been a while since any information has been given regarding this, and I was interested to know weather it was still under development or fell by the wayside?

Regrades to you.

Cyber-Angel  :)

Matt

Quote from: Cyber-Angel on December 15, 2007, 07:36:56 PM
What about the long vaunted bolder generator, is this still been worked on; or is now planed that people just use the "Fake Stone's Shader"? It has been a while since any information has been given regarding this, and I was interested to know weather it was still under development or fell by the wayside?

The idea is that the Rock object will be developed until something more powerful, but it's not very useful right now.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Matt

DOF will not be in the February release.

Matt

dhavalmistry

ok so what exactly will be there in final release??...I read these posts and all I see is the things that wont be able to make it in Feb release...

Matt

A summary of the major changes was given in the announcement: http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=2940   We'll list the minor changes when we release the beta. Additional major features will be included as well but we're not in a position to announce features before they have been completed.

Matt

dhavalmistry

Thank you Matt....is water transparency included for Feb???