Water Transparency test and multithreading results

Started by Saurav, April 01, 2008, 07:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Lamppost

Thanks for showing. 

Actually I take that back; I am going to have to change into a clean shirt there is drool all down this one.  ;D

Quote from: moodflow on April 02, 2008, 02:54:46 PM
Quote from: calico on April 02, 2008, 02:46:54 PM
@Oshyan or @Matt - Will other things like terrain and fake stones be able to have this same transparency?

This is something I've been curious about too.  "Transparent materials" were mentioned, so I am hoping to see some crystal formations and such with this...and/or maybe some ice formations. 

And we just know some fool will try a glass planet. 
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

Matt

Quote from: RealUser on April 02, 2008, 04:51:56 AM
Watching this image, a question comes to my mind: Does water interact with stones or other objects? I mean, does objects produce some distortions or ripples or the like?

Not yet. You would have to add your own displacement to do that. But eventually I hope to be able to provide some functions that allow you to get some information about distance from terrain and/or objects. I can't make any promises just yet.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Matt

Quote from: calico on April 02, 2008, 02:46:54 PM
@Oshyan or @Matt - Will other things like terrain and fake stones be able to have this same transparency?

Any object or surface can be made transparent (currently only with the water shader but that should get you started). However, this won't always give you the effect you expect. If you added transparency to a particular layer on the terrain (e.g. a Fake Stones Shader), it would just make the planet transparent at that point, so you would see through the terrain and see that the planet is hollow. To have transparent rocks sitting on an opaque terrain you would need those rocks to be separate objects, not just a displacement of the planet.

Matt

rcallicotte

"...To have transparent rocks sitting on an opaque terrain you would need those rocks to be separate objects, not just a displacement of the planet."

Yes, Matt, but this is the fun of TG2.   ;D

Now, to figure out how to do this.  Heehee.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Christopher

Quote from: Matt on April 02, 2008, 06:08:23 PM
Quote from: RealUser on April 02, 2008, 04:51:56 AM
Watching this image, a question comes to my mind: Does water interact with stones or other objects? I mean, does objects produce some distortions or ripples or the like?

Not yet. You would have to add your own displacement to do that. But eventually I hope to be able to provide some functions that allow you to get some information about distance from terrain and/or objects. I can't make any promises just yet.

Matt

What about something like the suds and ripples features that were in the old terragen 0.9? Surely a more advanced version of that would be cool for terragen 2.     :)

RealUser

Hmmm, I could think of an automatic masking of the stone shader or whatever and use this for restricting the distortions or ripples. Possible?
Markus / RealUser
visit my Renderosity Gallery at
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=RealUser

dhavalmistry

can I get a screenshot of the GUI options added for water transparency....just want to see....

this is looking amazing!...
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Oshyan

The "surf and foam" functionality would require the same base features as ripples, I believe. So when a "distance from terrain/objects" function is available this could be used for both purposes (and much more). It could then be encapsulated into an easy-to-use shader or clip file.

- Oshyan

Christopher

Quote from: Oshyan on April 03, 2008, 04:22:46 PM
The "surf and foam" functionality would require the same base features as ripples, I believe. So when a "distance from terrain/objects" function is available this could be used for both purposes (and much more). It could then be encapsulated into an easy-to-use shader or clip file.

- Oshyan

Interesting.        :)

Mr_Lamppost

Quote from: Matt on April 02, 2008, 06:12:59 PM
To have transparent rocks sitting on an opaque terrain you would need those rocks to be separate objects, not just a displacement of the planet.

Matt

There is a Separate Geometry option in the Fake Stones shader.  Either it doesn't work or more likely I am not using it correctly but if I activate this option my stones disappear.   ??? :(

Comments, possibilities; Instructions?
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

rcallicotte

Hey, Lamppost, great question.  I can't wait to hear how the Separate Geometry works with Fake Stones, since I wondered from what Matt said if we might need imported objects (hope not, though).

Matt

Quote from: Mr_Lamppost on April 04, 2008, 12:19:54 PM
There is a Separate Geometry option in the Fake Stones shader.  Either it doesn't work or more likely I am not using it correctly but if I activate this option my stones disappear.   ??? :(

Comments, possibilities; Instructions?

The idea is that it would create separate objects, as you imagine, but I was never able to finish that. For now you should not use that feature.

Matt

Matt

Quote from: calico on April 04, 2008, 12:26:26 PM
Hey, Lamppost, great question.  I can't wait to hear how the Separate Geometry works with Fake Stones, since I wondered from what Matt said if we might need imported objects (hope not, though).

If you want transparent rocks that show terrain behind them, it's best if the rocks are not part of the terrain. I suppose you can make transparent rocks as long as you don't mind the bottom of the rocks punching through to the nothingness underneath the terrain ;)

Matt

rcallicotte

Eh?  What...er...uh.  I'm lost. 

Better yet - do you think it will be possible to make crystal-like rocks by using the water shader (Beta version, I mean) and controlling the coloring through that?  Or should we forget about Fake Rocks having any tranparency capability?

Quote from: Matt on April 04, 2008, 09:28:53 PM
...the bottom of the rocks punching through to the nothingness underneath the terrain ;)

Matt

Cyber-Angel

I asked for a Procedural Crystal Generator as some of you may recall that would produce with the right development the kind of formations been talked about here as well as the crystal structures found in all rocks no matter the type, as well as small crystal grains such as quartz: that thread is here http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=643.0 but was dismissed a fresh look maybe called for on this issue, after the Gold release and development time permitting.

The idea of Terragen is the representation of the natural world or at least that is what I have be lead to understand, I also have an understanding of the human perceptual system and how it is keyed to look for certain details that it knows form its model of the world (Formed form both learning and direct experience) of what certain things look like rock by way of example, if any of these elements are missing no matter how small they maybe then the image when presented to the visual cortex via the eyes will look wrong even if the viewer cannot immediately say what is wrong with the image.

I have had this conversation in the past (Or tried to any way) with people here about how Terragen cannot simply focus on the large picture (The Micro View as it where) while the equally important smaller scale (The Macro View) goes unattended. What do I mean by this statement? A person goes for a walk in a mountain wilderness and stops by a ford (Small Stream) for a rest but also to take in the vista that surrounds him, within his visual field there is a small bolder field with ice clearly visible; his visual cortex assimilates the formation, texture, color, grain structure of the boulders while simultaneously noting the inclusions, trapped air bubbles and so forth of the ice among a million or so other small details of the scene, in other words the minutia of the world which depending of how one looks at it may seem trivial but you cannot assert it is not there unless you have an underlying psychological condition.

The point of the above it to illustrate that nature the closer you move up to it (Yes I know, way to go captain obvious) the more layers of complexity you are presented with, for me the one bane I have with terrain software and have done since I used the demo of Vesta (Now Vesta Pro) from the cover disk from Amigia Format Magazine is that its like some one smoothed the rocks with some thing that is a strange mix of plastic and plaster, swept up all the rocks and dirt and removed all the diverse plant and animal life, what you could call "Nature Sanitized".

If any of the above sounds like wanting New York before Captain Cook (And some may say the Vikings before him) had even left port for that historically important and fateful voyage then I am sorry meaning that for Terragen is in the early days yet, but "Wise men plan and see while the rest do not) as it where.  ;D     

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel