Your Top 5 Most Wanted Features

Started by RArcher, April 27, 2009, 10:58:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldfarb

Quote from: buzzzzz1 on August 07, 2009, 11:41:51 AM
Not sure if this has been requested, so please excuse me if it has? 

Would it be possible to have a "Crop Area Tool" that could be set to "Free Transform" ?  Many times We re-render select areas of Our Scene, and many times it's an area that is diagonal across the Scene. With the square/rectangle that We have now, We are forced to render areas that We really don't want to re-rendered. This would save wasted render time and energy.  Hope I'm explaining this clearly?

I've never seen this in any application....I doubt it would be easy to do, and at best you'd get a blocky diagonal...perhaps a better feature would be to be able to select multiple crops...?
--
Michael Goldfarb | Senior Technical Director | SideFX | Toronto | Canada

dandelO

Quoteto be able to select multiple crops...?

Now, that sounds cool, and do-able.
I'd like to transform the crop area, aswell, but I've never seen anything that does that either.

goldfarb

been thinking about clouds today...

it might be good to be able to control Cloud Density and Edge Sharpness with altitude via a shader and/or a ramp...
the tops of clouds are almost always different than the middle and bottom.
--
Michael Goldfarb | Senior Technical Director | SideFX | Toronto | Canada

jo

Hi dandelO,

Quote from: dandelO on August 07, 2009, 05:50:33 PM
I'd like to transform the crop area, aswell, but I've never seen anything that does that either.

Do you mean rotate the crop area? That's the only standard transformation which can't be done.

Regards,

Jo

PG

OK, I seriously think that being able to save a renders progress should be the #1 priority, moreso than 64bit. I can't tell you how many renders I've lost after hours of waiting because it crashed or my PC froze or there was a bluescreen or a power cut or whatever. I know it's only a 32bit application and will crash when it hits the 2GB barrier but you can set a LARGEADDRESSAWARE flag for an application so that it uses 4GB in 64bit. It's just bloody annoying losing 15 hour renders. To partially resolve my problem, at least for the current render, I've used NTCore's 4GB Patch which can add the flag to any executable. So far I'm at 5 hours with non of the 'mini-freezes' I was having before
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Matt

Hi PG,

TG2 already has the LARGEADDRESSAWARE flag set - you shouldn't need to use another program to set this with TG2.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Volker Harun

I would like to adress any (!) value inside the node-networks with a function (i.e. stone scale and density, Powerfractal values ...)

CCC

1: Complete Procedural Erosion of all types, the missing magic shaders!!!       ;D
2: River networks (Large scale).
3: Glacial erosion and glaciers.
4: More render speed, why is Modo so fast?
5: Internal flora creation system.

mogn

Quote from: Volker Harun on August 17, 2009, 07:10:39 PM
I would like to adress any (!) value inside the node-networks with a function (i.e. stone scale and density, Powerfractal values ...)

That would be nice. But the mosts important, which prevents making 1 node functions, is that you cannot from the inside access
an input node. E.g it is not possible to make a a node (using one the alreadyy existing nodes) that takes twot vectors as input, and delivers
a vector as output.

ndeewolfwood

1.a rendering compare system à la maya or nuke.i mean store a render without saving it and  put the old render on the new render, to see the difference after changing a value.
2.expressions or simple code to animate values without keyframes..here i think to Houdini and is "$F fonction"....with it it will be possible to create some animation assets for cloud and water.
3.A black/white masks render system to get only the clouds, only the light rays, only one population kind, etc....
4.An asset management tool to create a clean .tgc library...maybe with a internet sharing system.
5.call nodes faster in the network view. maybe by pressing a key and typing the first node name letter.

Mandrake

Sorry if this has been mentioned, I should have put this on the list at day one.
Global Object control on at least this setting, what a pain in the butt. ;)

PG

Just a mini feature really, someone's probably already thought of. I'd quite like a bias feature on things like minimum and maximum scale of populations. There's currently no way to control how many rocks in a population are small and how many are large, other than seperate layers.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

lulu1315

hello everyone
these are my top 5

-64bits
-linux , at least for the standalone renderer.
-the ability to work with very large texture maps without the need to have them in memory (like .rat in houdini or .map in mental ray)
-more documentation
-more presets

Henry Blewer

I've been working with 3D for 20 years. Presets usually mean 'limited'. There are very many terrain files in the file sharing part of the forum. Often you can find something there which will give a good start to a project.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Klas