NWDA image contest - The WINNERS

Started by FrankB, May 12, 2009, 05:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GioMez

Just a little question about postwork: is it allowed to eliminate differences between two crops or other artifacts (such as "black holes" in highly displaced surfaces) using tools like brushes, cloning and so on?
I ask this because someone might consider it a sort of "adding" something to the render.

rcallicotte

I don't think using brushes and cloning should be allowed, if it's a purely TG2 contest.  But, we can see what the sponsors say.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

littlecannon

Just a thought.... but what if the faults in the rendering are something due to Terragen and you've just spent 37 hours rendering a pic? This hasn't happened to me, I'm just thinking. ::)
I just need to tweak that texture a bit more...

RArcher

From the rules post on the first page, Postwork is allowed as long as you are not splicing in say a photograph of some clouds.  I'll leave it to Frank to be the final word on this, but I really don't think fixing any rendering or crop problems with your render in post is any sort of problem.

Seth

mmmh... brushes, cloning and all sounds like heavy postwork to me...
Let's wait for Frank's opinion on that...

Henry Blewer

I am making a different pic for my entry. Changing the stuff NWDA asked for has changed the character of the image. Anyway, I thought it would be fun to make a cool object in Blender.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

dandelO

There's lots of controversy with P/W.

You may need to clone out a bad area with a sample of, say, 10px wide, from right beside the spot that looks bad. On an image of even 800x600, this isn't really heavy postwork at all.

Also, splicing in cloud photos, like Ryan says is pretty heavy duty adding but, what if you have an image loaded into TG to be rendered as the clouds? It certainly isn't postwork, more prework. Is preworking allowed? Because, if not then how do you determine where to draw the line? Image mapping on rocks, clouds, vegetation, stars? Tricky...

Seth

I don't see problem with prework (if i may say that) as it is TG rendered... image map is not forbidden in the term of the contest.
I hope Frank and Martin will be there tomorrow so we can hear their opinions too :)
maybe cloning a little area is not "really heavy" but as the contest ends in more than one month, i think people should be able to find a solution to get rid of the problem without Photoshop....

FrankB

Hi all,

the spirit of the rule to allow postwork, but not adding stuff, is to have all elements of your image be rendered. A cloud image you can barely call rendered. That's adding stuff.
"Fixing" problematic areas, in the sense that there were minor render errors, such as small holes in a rock wall, is absolutely ok. "Fixing" one out of 100 fake stones that happens to have "exploded" it totally ok.
It's probably impossible to list all things that are allowed and what is not allowed... Try to understand the true meaning, the spirit of what "not adding stuff" means.

Using an image map as a color function for small parts of your image is not a problem. It's common practice to enrich rock structures with image maps, but don't let the image map become the dominating part of something, unless its an object, that almost by default must be colored through images, and not procedurally.
Let what Terragen does be the dominant part of your render, not an image map. Just be cautious with these things and you'll be ok. If in doubt, show the render and ask. Really, show it and ask.

Brush fixing GI boundary problems for crop renders is not problematic either. Given enough RAM and stable Terragen, you *could* have rendered it in one shot. If you glue cropped parts together, that's not adding any scene elements. I have no issue with that at all. The idea is showing what great and realistic looking things you can do with Terragen.

Regards,
Frank

littlecannon

Thanks FrankB. Now render on... ;D
I just need to tweak that texture a bit more...

buzzzzz1

Just sent my entry Frank. Hope it meets with your approval.  :)
XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

arisdemos

@ Frank, does compositing two seperate renders (say one of a combination foreground and middleground render with populations/objects pasted onto a different tg2 rendered background) meet the criteria of being primarily of terragen origin within the contest restrictions?

I realize it must be getting? somewhat time consuming to answer all of these little guide line complexities. Contests have to involve a clear/mutual understanding of the competitive field, but hope I havent asked the same question as the last guy.

FrankB

@arisdemos: that's outside of what we consider "one" render. My previous statement about stitching images (crops) together was meant to allow renders to complete that otherwise would have crashed and/or eaten too many resources.
So you should be able to render the scene with just one TGD.

Hope that doesn't smash your plans.

Regards,
Frank

Dune

What about 'non-TG' objects? I see buildings, planes and fish in the contest entries. Are they really allowed?

---Dune

buzzzzz1

Quote from: Dune on June 05, 2009, 10:26:03 AM
What about 'non-TG' objects? I see buildings, planes and fish in the contest entries. Are they really allowed?

---Dune

My guess would be yes. Since the Judging Panel approved the images that have been posted on the site contest gallery.  ::)
XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS