NWDA image contest - The WINNERS

Started by FrankB, May 12, 2009, 05:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: buzzzzz1 on July 02, 2009, 12:31:50 PM
Quote from: Tangled-Universe on July 02, 2009, 11:04:19 AM
Yes, the size-limit is due to technical limitations of the NWDA-site.
I shall have a chat with Frank to see if it's possible to also send an unresized/uncompressed image along with your submission to be reviewed. BUT, you would still have to send a max 1680x1050px and max 250kb image as submission.
So not as a replacement. We're not going to resize/compress images for participants.

We'll get back to you soon.

Martin

WTF?   And which Image will you Judge from?  I downsized mine from 1680x1256 too 1404x1050 then optimized from 2.3 MB down too 244kb to meet requirements. I Just compared the 2 images and can't see much difference at all. I figured the optimizing was part of the competition?

Easy Jay, easy...read carefully what I said.
I just said I will discuss sending them both...don't worry, nothing has been decided, nor promised. I'll sort this out with the others.

Cheers,
Martin

buzzzzz1

Quote from: calico on July 02, 2009, 01:13:08 PM
Did you keep your original?

WTF?   And which Image will you Judge from?  I downsized mine from 1680x1256 too 1404x1050 then optimized from 2.3 MB down too 244kb to meet requirements. I Just compared the 2 images and can't see much difference at all. I figured the optimizing was part of the competition?

Of course, I have the bitmap and jpegs, why?
XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

buzzzzz1

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on July 02, 2009, 01:34:12 PM
Quote from: Tangled-Universe on July 02, 2009, 11:04:19 AM
Yes, the size-limit is due to technical limitations of the NWDA-site.
I shall have a chat with Frank to see if it's possible to also send an unresized/uncompressed image along with your submission to be reviewed. BUT, you would still have to send a max 1680x1050px and max 250kb image as submission.
So not as a replacement. We're not going to resize/compress images for participants.

We'll get back to you soon.

Martin

Easy Jay, easy...read carefully what I said.
I just said I will discuss sending them both...don't worry, nothing has been decided, nor promised. I'll sort this out with the others.

Cheers,
Martin

I did read what you said. You are saying you might see if you can change the rules because someone doesn't know how to re-size an image.

8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
XP Pro 64 bit OS

Henry Blewer

The real point is, that using jpeg, the image looses quality. Artifacts are introduced. The color tends to creep. jpeg is a terrible image format. Now that so many have high speed connections, for quality art work it is not good enough. :(
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

buzzzzz1

Quote from: njeneb on July 02, 2009, 04:12:06 PM
The real point is, that using jpeg, the image looses quality. Artifacts are introduced. The color tends to creep. jpeg is a terrible image format. Now that so many have high speed connections, for quality art work it is not good enough. :(

That's not the real point. The real point is that they set the rules in the beginning of the contest and now someone wants to change the rules because they don't know how ( or don't want)  to get their image below 250kb. The entries already posted managed to meet the requirements. If you can't meet the requirements, then don't enter the contest, it's that simple.
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
XP Pro 64 bit OS

Jack

why don't people compress their inal raw files into a zipfolder then send it in that would be better? and just have the jpeg as a preview image
My terragen gallery:
http://wetbanana.deviantart.com/

Zylot

I have to say that some of us (well ok I am) in a position where, if they are allowing full large image to be reviewed but jpg on the site.. I cannot get to my original nor can I re-render my image because of my hardware trouble.  As such, I feel my image would not be judged on the same level as others that can.

Just saying, it seems a tad silly to change the rules like this.  Next time, maybe have this in place from the start of the contest?

buzzzzz1

Look guys, I'm just trying to say don't change the rules mid-stream. I guess I should have kept my mouth shut because it's only a little contest and not that important. I was honored to even get my image excepted.  I just hope things stay fair for everyone involved. 

Cheers  :)
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
XP Pro 64 bit OS

Jack

Quote from: buzzzzz1 on July 02, 2009, 04:48:37 PM
Look guys, I'm just trying to say don't change the rules mid-stream. I guess I should have kept my mouth shut because it's only a little contest and not that important. I was honored to even get my image excepted.  I just hope things stay fair for everyone involved. 

Cheers  :)
I see where you are coming from though buzzz especially to people who have already submitted art My render are usually over 1mb in compressed jpeg form so 250kb I think was far to small
My terragen gallery:
http://wetbanana.deviantart.com/

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: buzzzzz1 on July 02, 2009, 04:48:37 PM
Look guys, I'm just trying to say don't change the rules mid-stream. I guess I should have kept my mouth shut because it's only a little contest and not that important. I was honored to even get my image excepted.  I just hope things stay fair for everyone involved.  

Cheers  :)

Of course, and that's something we really care about. So please don't be worried.
Again, nothing has been decided nor promised. I just said I will discuss it, that's all :)
So please await our final "verdict" on this one, there's no reason for concern.

Martin

littlecannon

@ buzzzzz1, that someone is me.... and I've worked in graphics for 20 years, so don't tell me I don't know how to resize an image. What I'm saying is that 250kb is a ridiculous size  from which to judge photo realism. Jpeg is a lossy compression system that looks awful, so easy with the accusations... it was a simple question I asked NWDA. I haven't spent the past 2 months getting and image to a level I'm happy with to make do with an image that doesn't look as it should. If rules are rules then I will do as they are written, but I just want them to see it in all it's glory... is that too much to ask? I'd love to see an image that is 1680x1050 at 250kb that looks good. If you have some suggestions on the way you compress images without any loss, then please share them with us, as I for one would be most interested.

I'm sorry to all if I opened a can of worms here, but maybe someone can see where I'm coming from. I'm not asking to be judged on the good quality image, the low one will have to do. Also, I don't think it said anywhere in the rules that you would be judged on how well you optimize an image, that is just pure assumption.
Thanks, Simon.
I just need to tweak that texture a bit more...

buzzzzz1

Quote from: littlecannon on July 02, 2009, 07:54:19 PM
@ buzzzzz1, that someone is me.... and I've worked in graphics for 20 years, so don't tell me I don't know how to resize an image. What I'm saying is that 250kb is a ridiculous size  from which to judge photo realism. Jpeg is a lossy compression system that looks awful, so easy with the accusations... it was a simple question I asked NWDA. I haven't spent the past 2 months getting and image to a level I'm happy with to make do with an image that doesn't look as it should. If rules are rules then I will do as they are written, but I just want them to see it in all it's glory... is that too much to ask? I'd love to see an image that is 1680x1050 at 250kb that looks good. If you have some suggestions on the way you compress images without any loss, then please share them with us, as I for one would be most interested.

I'm sorry to all if I opened a can of worms here, but maybe someone can see where I'm coming from. I'm not asking to be judged on the good quality image, the low one will have to do. Also, I don't think it said anywhere in the rules that you would be judged on how well you optimize an image, that is just pure assumption.
Thanks, Simon.

Well if you have been doing graphics for 20 years and read the rules then perhaps you should have thought to ask the question before spending so much time on a render that you knew would have to be re sized. And thank you for saying the images that have been posted so far are no good?

And I'm not going to say anything else on this matter.

8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
XP Pro 64 bit OS

Henry Blewer

I wish everyone good luck in the contest. I have had fun and learned quite a lot participating in this contest. 8)
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Seth

calm down people...
Frank was in Paris last night and i don't think Martin was able to reach him online yet.
The contest rules were written so i don't understand why this comes up only 12 days before closure.
don't have time to write more, i am late for work but i'll come back in here to speak more.

Dune

I guess a rule is a rule, as set at the start of a contest, but if you look at JPG closely, 250 kB can never be a fair max measure. Size could, but not 'weight'. I mean, if you have a very nice image with a lot of small detail (such as trees), the weight tends to be higher than in a same size image with large (awfully beautiful) but quite even 'planes' such as sky. Or, if you get it down to the same kB's the tree image will look fuzzier, and more artifacted.
I'll comply by the set rules, but might reconsider my choice of entry based on this assumption.

ps. Not that I am deeply upset by this all, I find this a very interesting discussion and NWDA challenge...

---Dune