Go render something!

Started by FrankB, May 23, 2009, 05:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mohawk20

Seth!!!
Who did you erase this time?!?!

Put those people back this instant!!!

(Sorry, seen too much Sci-fi... ;D :P 8))
Howgh!

Seth

tumasch

Quote from: Seth on May 24, 2009, 10:35:23 AM
I don't like what I do 90% of time, and I never will be as good as Luc Bianco was even 1 year ago...
but you know sharing renders is very important too...
Okay, I agree with you and will remain silent on that for now. :)
Décider c'est mourir un peu.

matrix2003

Great stuff here!  Good times!   :o   ;D
-MATRIX2003-      ·DHV·  ....·´¯`*

Seth

c'mon guys ! I need to read more confessions ! pleaaaase !

folder

ok Seth

here is my confession. while I have been a terragen fan for years
including the previous versions. I have just recently felt confortable with the program. I tend to have long learning curves, but once I learn, progress rapidly. I have to know everything, like in my guitar playing. I know all my scales, arps and theory, etc so that when I play i do not have to think. same with terragen. I just thanks to Amnidemos loading a file, figured out some displacement issues. and the fake stone tutorial by Neuspadrin just opened that fogged space. so there may be others like me. those who are not intitutive but prodding. oh well the journey is fun

folder

dandelO

I post more words than pictures.

95% of my TG2 folders(3 or 4 of them from various disk/pc failure times) will never see the light of 'Final Render', never mind day. Because 95% of it's crap or morebund. :)

Also, inspiration comes in short, sharp spurts, words flow like diarrhea!
I can be banging away, for weeks sometimes, just trying to persuede TG to bend to my fashion or, I could be on the bus home from work, have a TG Epiphony and come home and get it right, first time. These second are the best images - quick and surprising - and the most likely you are to see from me(not to say that updating 'warped voronoi caustics' isn't still an ongoing pain, that I'll bring up again at some point. It's been years, never mind months!).

I'm all caved-up at the moment with TG, that came out of the blue. I've been attempting to carve a decent cave in Terragen for years and then, the simplicity of it just clicked, almost by accident. And the caveat nauta image only takes 1h 50m to render too. On my little dual core that's decent enough for me. :)

I'll post my next spurt as it happens, until then, you just get my diarrhea... :D :D :D

Seth

dandelO, i don't think Frank had your name in mind. ^^
you post renders AND technical advices ! ;D

Cyber-Angel

So OK, is the gist of this conversation saying you should only ask questions if you have a high image post count or some thing? If so that doesn't seem vary friendly too those trying to learn TG2, more over do we really want the image posting forum flooded with poor quality images except in cases where some one is trying to get help either with that image or improve as a Terragen artist?

There are times when you need to post a question on the forums, because you working on an image at that moment and you get stuck and you need advice on how to achieve some thing; so at times like these there may not be any thing at that moment that you can show or its at an early stage and you feel its not good enough to show or any other circumstance along similar lines. ???

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel 

Seth

Quote from: FrankB on May 23, 2009, 05:13:04 PM

There are quite a couple of people in this community, who spend a lot of time starting new threads, participating in all sorts of discussions, and comment images. Some have made a couple thousand posts, others just a few hundred, but they all have one thing in common: they never post a render. Or haven't in a very long time.

Here's my question: why?

This is the question, so even if I am not in Frank's mind, I don't think dandelO is a part of the "quite a couple of people".
I just read, I don't try to turn the question as I want to.
take a deep breath, read the first post and read yours... I don't see the point of your last shot.

Best regards,

Seth.

PG

Quote from: Cyber-Angel on May 25, 2009, 02:33:05 AM
So OK, is the gist of this conversation saying you should only ask questions if you have a high image post count or some thing? If so that doesn't seem vary friendly too those trying to learn TG2, more over do we really want the image posting forum flooded with poor quality images except in cases where some one is trying to get help either with that image or improve as a Terragen artist?

There are times when you need to post a question on the forums, because you working on an image at that moment and you get stuck and you need advice on how to achieve some thing; so at times like these there may not be any thing at that moment that you can show or its at an early stage and you feel its not good enough to show or any other circumstance along similar lines. ???

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel

I think it's more of a query to those WITH a high post count but very few posts of their own renders rather than those who post very little.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Hetzen

I think I've posted a grand total of two projects of renders, although I've posted quite a few test images. The problem for me is fitting in dedicated time with work and family, that being said, most of what I have done has been in trying to achieve specific effects as an aid in me progressing with the program when I have dedicated time to TG.

Confessions? Well maybe I have been a little hyper critical over some peoples work, when mine hasn't cut the mustard itself. If people take offence to that then I appologise. Although personally, I'd rather have constructive criticism and direction from fresh eyes thrown at my work to help me improve my level of output, than either hearing nothing at all or a vapid well done without honest appraisal. I've also come to learn that nothing is worth getting too precious about, especially in something as subjective as art can be, particularly when we're here working with a program which is trying to simulate nature to photo realistic level, which I may add is probably an unrealistic bar to set. But it's better to have higher goals and standards to work to, and think the community here is a very important factor in that.

The other side of working with Terragen is the problem solving. I like puzzles. I find it very rewarding discovering the solution, or just brainstorming and bouncing ideas, especially when you have others involved, as they will often come up with ideas you hadn't thought about, and see no need for someone to have posted a picture in the gallery to be part of that process. The common theme here is that we all are putting some of our intellectual investment into a very open ended program.

dandelO

Quote from: Seth on May 25, 2009, 02:15:35 AM
dandelO, i don't think Frank had your name in mind. ^^
you post renders AND technical advices ! ;D

I know that, just thought I'd join the fray. I don't post as many renders as forum posts but, I also know I don't never post a render.
It's a good question and one I'd have liked to have asked myself in here. Trouble with that is, I'd probably not have been so tactful as Frank was about it in the original post. I know what you're saying, Frank. ;)

sjefen

I only post images I want to share :)

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

rcallicotte

I really don't think it's anyone's business how much I post or render as long as I can post helpfully.  Cool.  Otherwise, who gives a crap?  If this particular thread is meant to be finger-pointing, it's a lotta crap.

So, is it?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?