always crashing

Started by ozijon, June 11, 2009, 01:38:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

Sorry for the late response. For anyone still having these problems, and they're *not* memory-related (i.e. you don't get "unable to allocate memory" errors, you just get crashes, usually right away on starting TG2), driver updates are definitely the first thing to try. Often people make the mistake of thinking that their card's manufacturer (ASUS for example) will have the latest drivers, but generic drivers for your chipset are usually best and most current. If you have an Nvidia card for example, just go to www.nvidia.com and use the latest version of their unified driver.

- Oshyan

Thelby

QuoteHi ozijon,
The Daz models are using a lot of memory because the images for example V4's limb's are loaded several times in Terragen. You can try to use an image map shader and assign it to the different default shders (see attachment). This saves a lot of memory.
This is done with 2 GB of memory  ;D

Wow, Klas, that is a great Idea and would have saved me countless crashes on my first populated scene just the other day, Thanks Big Time for that tip!!!  8) :D  8)

Henry Blewer

Try using an object converter to change the DAZ objects into Wavefront .obj files. Terragen  2 uses uses this format well.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Klas

I am using DAZ Studio and export them as .obj.

Henry Blewer

I was told in a different thread that some programs do not export the differing file formats correctly. For instance, Blender uses an older version of Lightwave's object data. Try using Poseray, which is freeware. It can be found at download.com.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

neuspadrin

Quote from: njeneb on June 15, 2009, 04:22:33 PM
I was told in a different thread that some programs do not export the differing file formats correctly. For instance, Blender uses an older version of Lightwave's object data. Try using Poseray, which is freeware. It can be found at download.com.

This helps a lot of issues.  Terragen 2 and Poseray both seem to like similar obj formats. 

If you ever read into the obj format and how many different ways you can really look at the data, you can see why its horrible :P each program seems to give data in different orders.

ozijon

Thank you all for the ideas and help I'll get back into things now installed the latest drivers to just released this month so hope all works out then I'll get me the new cd for Christmas  ;D thank again

ozijon

Quote from: Klas on June 13, 2009, 01:04:27 PM
Quote from: ozijon on June 13, 2009, 02:33:23 AMI use daz models so the problem....
Hi ozijon,
The Daz models are using a lot of memory because the images for example V4's limb's are loaded several times in Terragen. You can try to use an image map shader and assign it to the different default shders (see attachment). This saves a lot of memory.
This is done with 2 GB of memory  ;D

OH Hi thank you for this tip yes some models need the same map for 10 things I'll try this very helpful   ;D
thank you