Image Sharing / Re: Whale Beach
« Last post by mhaze on Today at 03:27:15 PM »
Nice, original and well executed.
Terragen Discussion / Re: GI artifacts
« Last post by sboerner on Today at 02:38:57 PM »
  :D
« Last post by bobbystahr on Today at 02:34:15 PM »
As long as they don't overlap and are opacity masked, rendering should go faster.

Yup, it was operator error. The spheres weren't properly masked. That's fixed and render times have been reduced to something more reasonable. Artifacts are gone. Thanks for the additional tips.

Like the new website, btw. Impressive work.

heh heh another picnic, Problem In Chair Not In Computer ....
« Last post by bobbystahr on Today at 02:32:38 PM »
I freakin love how this forum actually works...so many software forums I've trolled don't, and I've been glad I don't use said softwares...
« Last post by sboerner on Today at 02:24:43 PM »
As long as they don't overlap and are opacity masked, rendering should go faster.

Yup, it was operator error. The spheres weren't properly masked. That's fixed and render times have been reduced to something more reasonable. Artifacts are gone. Thanks for the additional tips.

Like the new website, btw. Impressive work.
Thanks for checking the problem. Part of the project is learning to avoid or skip files like these!
Can you cite this, where early horse is defined as just horse?

Just "horse" is unqualified and applies to all of Equidae. To be more specific just add an adjective such as "early" or "modern" etc. This same thing goes for cats (Felidae), dogs (Canidae),  bears (Ursidae) etc. I for one don't really care for the term "true horse". I guess it is one of my gripes. At one time the spiny-tailed iguanas of the American tropics (genus Ctenosaura) were called "false iquanas" as opposed to the "true iguanas" of genus "Iguana". I really object to this terminology because no species should be referred to as a "false" anything. It is always a "true" whatever it is. What would you think of yourself being referred to as a "false ape"? I've read plenty of books about paleontology also and I go with the general consensus knowing that many individual paleontologists have their different preferences and ways of doing things. Some authors are really off-the-wall and this is reflected throughout the books they write. But others are sloppy in their language and don't really care to be consistent. Paleontology and even Geology and Biology are pretty inexact sciences. The goal in any science should be to create organization out of chaos.

The state of knowledge and the terminology that is used is always in flux. The 2018 abstracts for the SVP are supposed to be released in three days. Arguably, the SVP has the highest visibility and attendance of world experts (as well as many enthusiasts like me) in the field of vertebrate paleontology of any organization in the world. We will be meeting in Albuquerque in October. My wife and I will be in attendance and we generally try to read all of the abstracts before we go (with a few exceptions such as the ones that apply only to preparators). They will certainly have several papers about prehistoric and possibly even modern horses and I will pay close attention to how the presenters use the word "horse". Just to show you how extreme the terminology for some well-known paleontologists can be you should read "Your Inner Fish" by Neil Shubin. He insists that you and I are correctly referred to as "fish". What do you think about that?
Geez, this is indeed some wild project. After 15 minutes with my 16GB RAM, I am at 40% of render preview. But maybe you could just find another method for achieving the intended result? Whatever it may be.
Terragen Animation / Re: Water test
« Last post by luvsmuzik on Today at 10:12:58 AM »
Some adjustments.  :)

you use my method.
I don't know anything about 'your method'; I've used setups like this for ages.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10