Waves in TG2????

Started by Marcos Silveira, March 16, 2007, 12:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Fire

Those waves are very good. Perhaps there are better wave-making features planned for TG2...

DeathTwister

Hi MeltingIce short time 2 see yaz again /winks,

I love your tutorials my brother, they are awesome.
  Hay any chance of letting us know how you got that far so far?  Do you have the paid version or free trial right now bro, and does it matter at this point do you think making water work like an ocean??? Looks like you have gotten some very good headway so far and the image is awesome, love that water. /smiles....

This is a great discussion guys /winks.

DeathTwister
Maylock Aromy DeathTwister Stansbury
ATOMIX Productions

sjefen

Yes. This is a great discussion. I realy do hope that Planetside figure out how to make waves.
Take a look at this. It's realy cool. It is a Hydro-Fluid simulator. But I think this is a plugin for 3ds max.
http://www.scanlinevfx.com/movie_collection.html
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

king_tiger_666

that is very nice!!... it would be cool "IF" some CG stuff could be transferred to terragen...
<a href="www.hobbies.nzaus.co.nz/">My  Terragen Downloads & Gallery</a>

twistednoodle

That ocean is amazing - reminds me of the movie Perfect Storm!  I am following this thread with interest!!!  I usually put water in my piccies but haven't so far because I've been disappointed with the lack of transparency (which I believe is coming).  Anyway working on deep oceans like Ryan's piccy (Meltingice) doesn't need any transparency so I'd be interested in this!!  Just a head in the right direction is all I need (more info than Luc's tip on cumulous clouds - if that wasn't the most frustrating thing!!!!  LOL)  I think we'd all appreciate something to get our teeth into - I just want ONE fabulous render!  LOL  Thanks for your input guys this forum has been invaluable!  Thanks again....   ;D
I may be crazy but at least I'm not crazy!

Oshyan

There's a big difference between "waves" - which TG2 can already do quite well - and *breaking waves*, which no off-the-shelf program, including games, does at all, or at least very well. DT, you say you were studying the waves in Guild Wars and other games, but none of them do breaking waves as far as I know, and the regular wave shapes they can do are generally quite possible and in fact can usually be done much better in TG2.

You can use any procedural or even a heightfield to create water shape. In fact one might start a breaking wave study by creating a sort of sawtooth heightfield and then displacing it in TG2 horizontally. Without transparency you're going to find the results fairly lacking, but you *may* be able to use very carefully tuned height-based texturing (with lighter blues for higher altitudes) to simulate both transparency and foam. With enough effort I think you'd get an acceptable result, but it would be pretty finnicky, not easily applicable to other scenes, and certainly not animatable. Perhaps a breaking wave function will be added later, but I wouldn't expect it for the initial release of TG2.

- Oshyan

DeathTwister

Hay Oshyan,

Thanks for the idea on how to play with the waves, and yes, I think they were shaders I see in games and not real waves I give you that, but your right, in that I have been messing a bit with the shaders and kinda changing them out and around to see what I can come up with.  If I come up with anything good, I will post my finding and share with you all /smiles... And I hope some peeps make a good plugin then for the waves, sounds like we could use that one first /winks...

Also I think it could help if we could bring in .pngs I think for getting transparencies in, but when I tried it I couldn't get it to work right.  But would be nice to be able to bring in other files besides just .bmp's like .jpg's and .png's if I could put that on a wish list? /smiles.

DT
ATOMIX Productions

Oshyan

DT, you can already use .jpg's, tiff's and a number of other file formats. PNG's are technically supported but seem problematic at present. TIFF and TGA can both have embedded alpha channels, or you can specify an external alpha (for transparency).

I'm also confused about your use of the term "shader". It's an extremely general and largely meaningless word. In this context of computer graphics it basically refers to *any* sets of instructions or settings used to describe the "shading" (visual) properties of a surface or object. TG2 uses "shaders", games use "shaders", etc. but they often refer to different things, albeit variations of the same. Saying "it used shaders" doesn't really mean much. You would use "shaders" in TG2 to achieve the same effect(s).

- Oshyan

DeathTwister

Hay there,

QuoteI'm also confused about your use of the term "shader". It's an extremely general and largely meaningless word. In this context of computer graphics it basically refers to *any* sets of instructions or settings used to describe the "shading" (visual) properties of a surface or object. TG2 uses "shaders", games use "shaders", etc. but they often refer to different things, albeit variations of the same. Saying "it used shaders" doesn't really mean much. You would use "shaders" in TG2 to achieve the same effect(s).

Haha I have always found that confusing allot myself haha, I am with you there.  I have been trying to use .jpgs instead of .bmps for textures and every time I get a does not support this file type for the things I am trying to do, right now any way.  So now I am confused, what formats are able to do what, and where?  Any Tuts on that you know of Master brother?
I would love to find out exactly how all the file types work in TGD2, but have not run across any as of yet.
And .pngs do not seem to hold there interlaced transparencies at all, for me anyway, not sure why as it comes out white where I wanted nothing, so I am still learning how to use them all.  So a good Tut on what does work where would be nice??

Thanks for the info Oshyan, as always your the Elf /smiles DT
ATOMIX Productions

Oshyan

PNG's are problematic at present, as I said. .jpg's should work fine. Where and how are you trying to load them? I just created an Image Map shader and loaded a .jpg just fine. It displayed immediately.

- Oshyan