Boston .. WTF

Started by DannyG, April 17, 2013, 07:41:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DannyG

I can never get my head around the type of hatred that fuels someone to do these senseless acts of Terrorism/Violence. These seem to becoming almost a trend in 10 past 10-15 years, I hope they catch the bas__ds that are responsible. Due to the small scale of this 'Thank God' I have a feeling its one of our own home grown nut jobs. (we have plenty) Anyway thoughts and prayers go out to the families who lost loved ones and to stop this madness. Empty wish in today's world unfortunately.     

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/16/explosion-reported-near-finish-line-boston-marathon-spokesman-says/

8 year old victim http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/martin-richard-8-loved-playing-with-sister-friends/2013/04/16/1e5c123c-a698-11e2-b029-8fb7e977ef71_story.html
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Tangled-Universe

Well Danny, I'd like to relate a few things to each other if you don't mind;

I don't know for sure whether these things are happening that much more often than, say, 10-15 years ago.
What did happen/evolved in the past 10-15 years is the ever increased speed and ease of access to information, which greatly increased our "awareness" of these incidents.

What I find disturbing about this act of violence/terrorism in Boston is the way it is hugely discussed by the global media.
By no means I want or am trying to trivilise this horrible incident, but these "incidents" happens almost every day in multiple places in the world like Afghanistan, Syria or Iraq. There it aren't incidents anymore, but rather daily business.
Many of these incidents are even more gruesome, if you wish or dare to relate them to each other.
Even back in the days of the IRA in Ireland something occured on almost a daily basis.
Did we care that much then? Or do we now? Don't think so.

Now some lunatic does this in the US and now we're all supposed to panic and fall over each other to be first to scream out it's all disgrace and shame? Sorry, no.
The global media gives this incident way too much attention and "credit".

I hope they get the guy who did this, so that the victims didn't die or got injured in vein.
Else, we should move on and get back to focus on the global financial crisis. (for example)
This whole same story applies to North Korea.
Important things are happening in the world in relation to the financial crisis, but we're made to believe North-Korea and the Boston bombing are much more important.

DannyG

I am well aware of the global issues that have been going on now and for decades Martin, I certainly don't expect anyone to fall over themselves over this particular incident. Having spent a few years of my life living in the Boston area where my own Brother ran that Marathon several times this had kind of a "hit home feeling" to me. I am not the media, I am just a part of this community and wanted to share my personal thoughts in this regard.
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

folder

My daughters o to college in Boston and were both there. My youngest 19' was a block away from the 2 blasts. My oldest 22was further away and is still shaken .  The wife was on the phone calling relatives and assuring then all was ok. This is just madness,no matter where it happens.it just is closer to home when it is someone you know and now as you know me thru the forums you know them

David

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: DannyGordon on April 17, 2013, 09:08:06 AM
I am well aware of the global issues that have been going on now and for decades Martin, I certainly don't expect anyone to fall over themselves over this particular incident. Having spent a few years of my life living in the Boston area where my own Brother ran that Marathon several times this had kind of a "hit home feeling" to me. I am not the media, I am just a part of this community and wanted to share my personal thoughts in this regard.

Thanks for sharing that perspective Danny :)
I understand your personal link here in this particular case and that this gives rise to a different kind of emotion.

I didn't mean to say you're the media of the course and I also only meant to give my opinion on this incident and the time after.
Seeing all those messages in the news and the social media made me think it was another attempt to raise awareness, which as you may have understood, looked overkill to me.
Now it seems there's a personal aspect in your message which I wasn't aware of.

I suppose that with the knowledge I have now from your personal connection, I may have responded a bit differently.

DannyG

I know you had logical intentions within your comment Martin, what you said is sadly very accurate. No harm done.
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

TheBadger

Quotebut these "incidents" happens almost every day in multiple places in the world like Afghanistan, Syria or Iraq.
The US is not these places you mention. I am not surprised by violence in places like the above. But the event in Boston, be it foreign or domestic, signals a change in the status quo, that will effect a large number of issues both in the US and the greater world. For example, if it was a foreign born attack, it is an act of war.

Using lack of coverage in the middle east is not a logical equivalent to justify surprise at the degree of coverage of Boston. The coverage of those places internationally would increase if the killings stopped, because peace there would also change the status quo. There is no reason to make news of violence in Afghanistan, because it is not news. I say this as someone who has worked in a news room.

By the way T-U, I do agree with you that some stories are deliberately used to hide other stories for political reasons. It is a fact that this happens. It is the norm in every country on earth. And I agree with you that it is sad and disturbing.
It has been eaten.

Henry Blewer

The late 1960's to 1972-73 had a lot of violence. The USA is not immune from it. We were lucky to have a generation of people who opposed violence in the mid to late 1970's.

I can go on about the 1870's-1939, but there is not enough space on the forum for all of that.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

TheBadger

Agreed. But we could go back to the dawn of man if you want.

The status quo by definition refers to immediate contemporary issues. Or else should we still be doing daily news briefs on Vietnam?
It has been eaten.

Henry Blewer

True. I take a historical perspective for things like this. It helps me cope.

I do not understand the motivation to do things like this. The end result does not justify the means.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

efflux

Quote from: Henry Blewer on April 17, 2013, 02:59:42 PM
The end result does not justify the means.

It does for psychopaths and we have those all through our governments as well.

I was born in Northern Ireland. Bomb blasts were regular. Army all over the streets. You'd be in a store and it would come over the speaker system that we had to leave due to a bomb warning. Everyone would saunter out. This is how normal it was. My dad had to check his car for bombs every morning because he worked for a British company which was a target. Americans live in this bubble. Obama kills innocent people all the time. Of course this is the same in the UK. Supporting rebels to overthrow foreign governments when the rebels are terrorists. Many are Al-Qaeda. Th hypocrisy is total.

Seth

Iraq yesterday : 18 bombs, 37 deads, 270 injured
Afghanistan April 7th : 30 civilians killed during a wedding, killed by an american bombardment
medias covers : 0

And I don't even mention the 700 000+ casualties in Iraq, killed by the coalition.
So excuse me to be rude, but the way the medias over-react in my country is called propaganda, not news.

I personnaly lost a friend in a terrorist attack in the RER Saint Michel, years ago, so I can understand your feelings.
And living in Paris, I lived several months/years with the idea that we could be blown away in the metro or in the street, at anytime.
The american people must be in shock and I hope there will be no more death from that attack. And even if I don't pray a lot, I send prayers to them.

I just hope it was an internal business because I don't want our soldiers to be sent in another foreign country to kill civilians and steal oil/gaz/gold or whatever for the leaders of the "Good side".

AP

Boston Bombing VS West Explosion: A Nation Conflicted

http://youtu.be/vm0OJZla-E0

TheBadger

As I write this there are explosions being reported on the MIT campus in Boston; roving gun fights and chaos. No one seems to know for sure whats happening.

The first time I was in Moscow, Chechens bombed the Metro station I used everyday. I wasn't there at the time, but in addition to being the largest city I have ever been in, it gave me a strange feeling I had never felt before or since. I certainly prefer living in medium and small sized cities to the giant ones like NY, Paris, or Moscow, or Boston for that matter. You guys who live in those places have too much trouble to deal with!

You know that Iran and North Korea are not thinking to themselves, "If we attack the US, lets make sure to get (name of small town here)".
Terrorists, crime, corruption, pollution, and on and on. Small towns are nicer I think... No one ever wants to come here and no one ever wants to leave. And No one has ever tried to blow me up here.
It has been eaten.