Sub surface scattering again...

Started by Hannes, November 26, 2014, 06:42:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hannes on November 26, 2014, 04:24:32 PM
It's 3ds max's default torus knot displaced. Nothing really special  :)

still cool to an old Celt
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Hannes

Dune

That is an interesting thought, Hannes. I mentioned this 'backside rendering' on the other side of a wave with Matt, and hopefully one day there will be a solution for it. It won't be possible with the water shader yet, but this default shader thing seems very realistic. Must try that on procedural waves.

Hannes

I haven't really tried that on anything but objects, so I'm curious if this method works for terrains (or water) as well. As soon as my current render is finished I'll give it a try.

Dune

Trying right now, seems good so far.

Dune

You can even see fish through the non-transparent water  :o But the default shader should be followed by a reflective and it should sit on a no-shadow sphere. You can use less translucency then. Rendering right now.

Check out some of this guy's work; Ivan Konstantinovich Aivazovsky. Maybe a bit over the top but the transparency of the water is quite magical.

Hannes

Fantastic link!! Incredible!
What do you mean by "...sit on a no-shadow sphere"? The planet?
Looking forward to your efforts.

Dune

Nice, huh? Well, if you make this line of nodes you should add them as input to a world scale sphere, not to the planet. A lake will as well of course. But I started out making it on the planet, and the shadow make the water much darker, also the translucency. I added the foam twice, once black (surface shader) and on top white (surface shader), slightly bigger, to get the shadows in the translucent waves.

Only thing is that the 'shadow foam' isn't really a shadow.

Hannes

Pictures say more than words, Ulco.
Show it!!!!!! ;D ;D

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hannes on November 27, 2014, 10:56:00 AM
Fantastic link!! Incredible!
What do you mean by "...sit on a no-shadow sphere"? The planet?
Looking forward to your efforts.

i think Ulco means scale the Y way down and the X & Z way big giving a round plane with volume Hannes, then turn off the shadows. At least that's what I'm trying...with not a lot of success on transparency so far; either with a merge or just in the stack.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

This is what I got, and how I got it is in the .tgd. You can just replace my image map with a PF as I have it there as something easy to see underwater, with some displacement. Guess I could have used Fakestones as well so there's another option. The technique didn't start working for me till I massively displaced the waves. Also there's a front sun at 3 with no shadows, glow or specularity which helps with seeing underwater.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

By sphere I meant a planet size sphere, as replacement for the lake, but either is ok. I stopped my render after about 5 hours, having seen enough. I still don't like rendering displaced water, as it takes so long. I'm now doing some tests to get the kind of water as in the painter's  paintings, with the default shader. And I'll show you  ;)

Hannes

Thanks a lot, Ulco!! It still looks a bit opaque, but I know there is a lot more potential.

bobbystahr

Quite different from where I went with it, but brilliant. Would really like to see the network for that.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New