Mission to Mars

Started by René, November 14, 2016, 08:39:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

René

I'm still not satisfied with the rocks (too artificial) and I'm not sure about the colors either, but at this point I'm pretty confident that i can pull it off. Most of the time when I start I have no clue how to do it or if it's at all possible.

Dune

That's the fun part of it, trying to exceed yourself. You are certainly on the right track, but I see what you mean (hence my warp remark). Good luck.

René

Martin

Oh my god, this is amazing! I've been trying to make a similar realistic Mars  terrain several times before, but I always got stuck with the masking different rocks and dunes together properly.
This is perfect, the white cracked stones, the little sand dunes, and the layered mars rocks. At first glance I thought it's an obj file from zbrush or something. Did you get these results purely with TG displacement?
Truly amazing.

inkydigit

This is going to be epic! :)
Keep on René! :)

René

Quote from: Martin on November 30, 2016, 02:24:33 PM
Did you get these results purely with TG displacement?

Yes it's one hundred percent TG and procedural. The dunes are on a second (copy from the first) planet.

Hannes

This looks already amazing! Outstanding stuff! Looking forward to the next iteration.

Luc

+1 great job  :D

Quote from: Hannes on December 01, 2016, 09:51:43 AM
This looks already amazing! Outstanding stuff! Looking forward to the next iteration.
Terragen scenes & presets store
www.lucbianco.fr
Unreal Authorized Instructor

Luc

Did you attempt with only one planet and some merges ?

Quote from: René on December 01, 2016, 04:31:36 AM
Quote from: Martin on November 30, 2016, 02:24:33 PM
Did you get these results purely with TG displacement?

Yes it's one hundred percent TG and procedural. The dunes are on a second (copy from the first) planet.
Terragen scenes & presets store
www.lucbianco.fr
Unreal Authorized Instructor

René

Yes i did. Using the merge shader gave some interesting results but I found it easier to use a second planet, although this technique has its drawbacks because the textures and populations of the two planets have to match.

René

I'm still experimenting; it turns out to be harder than I thought. The latter comes closest to what I am trying to achieve.

Dune

You'll get there. It's a pity of some parts that look too artificial, and I know it's pretty hard to get that naturalness. I might take something like this up as a challenge to see how far I can get, time permitting. I really like those pancakerocks.

zaxxon

I think there are some quite wonderful shapes evolving here! This  is quite a challenge, I'm watching with great interest.

René

Quote from: Dune on December 13, 2016, 10:39:20 AM
You'll get there. It's a pity of some parts that look too artificial, and I know it's pretty hard to get that naturalness. I might take something like this up as a challenge to see how far I can get, time permitting. I really like those pancakerocks.

The problem is that I'm using images for reference. I had a few happy accidents which produced some attractive terrains which I can't use because they don't look like the photos.
I can address that artificial look the last stage(I hope  ;D ) by adding some noise and warping.

René

I thought it was a no-brainer but I'm still trying.  :-[ Time to cut the knot.