Another ocean

Started by Hannes, July 25, 2018, 01:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

Here's a new ocean test. I used two water shaders, but only for the main displacement, one for big displacement, and another one for small scale displacement. I then added a dark blue shader and another one with a brighter blueish color. Additionally there's a subtle twist and shear shader and some vertical displacement. The whitewater is created by using the Intersect underlying feature (favour rises). I have a reflective shader as well, but it's deactivated here for testing purposes.
In the original clip the white stuff is quite noisy, but after reducing the file size it became smoother. So, a loss of quality isn't always bad... ;)

The good thing is, I can increase the size of the (internal TG-) plane, and the displacement doesn't change.

Dune

Mesmerizing effect and cool start. The tilt and shear may sometimes fold the water into itself if you do to much of it, and that will cost render time, I'm afraid.

Hannes

Yes, maybe. And perhaps the vertical displacement is a bit too strong, but I'm still testing things.

Dune

Well, if you're testing anyway, why not add some nice local vortex on X or Z? That'll be cool.

Hannes

That might look nice indeed. The good thing is, the whitewater is created automatically, so that could be a nice effect. At the moment I'm testing a second vertical displacement in a 90° angle. Let's see what happens.

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

luvsmuzik

Amazing!  :)
The valleys get a little deep, but I am so envious of how you can do this without a preset that can be adjusted with scaling.
*Applause*

Hannes

Next step. Vertical displacement both X and Y direction.

Hannes

Improved shading. Doubles rendertimes, but I think, it's worth it.

luvsmuzik

Swell!  ;D

Great colors, looks very natural. :)

Hannes

Thanks, guys!!
Here is the animation with adjusted colours. I left out the camera move this time to focus on the shading and the water movement.

Dune

Stunning. Very natural waves, I'd say. Is this using a transparent water shader? For less rendertime you could try using a default shader with some patchy translucency and perhaps a tiny bit of luminosity for the higher areas, see if that kind of yields the same shading and enough saving on render time.

Hannes

Quote from: Dune on July 27, 2018, 01:37:35 AM
Stunning. Very natural waves, I'd say. Is this using a transparent water shader? For less rendertime you could try using a default shader with some patchy translucency and perhaps a tiny bit of luminosity for the higher areas, see if that kind of yields the same shading and enough saving on render time.

Thanks Ulco. Actually only the brighter greenish shader is transparent. The impact on rendertimes is negligible. Already did some tests with default shaders, but this looks best I'd say.

KlausK

That is looking very good!
Can you tell me what dimensions the "plane" has?
I`d really like to see a close-up of those structures sometime.
Wondering what it looks like then.
CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)