Object mask/displace terrain

Started by luvsmuzik, October 02, 2018, 10:08:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvsmuzik

I was just wondering if it would ever be possible for an object to displace or mask the terrain where it is placed? What I am talking about is.... say a residence like a house or cabin or even castle that sits on a hillside. It seems now that unless you make a substantial foundation, upon trying to explore the interior you may have terrain inside due to slope.

Or is this already possible with a SSS below the object? Just curious.

N-drju

Hey there luvs. Yes, it is possible to flatten a piece of land with SSS and also do it at a particular altitude rather than at "sea level". I know, because I did it several times.

It is advisable though, to warp the SSS for realism prior to doing this because, frankly, nobody will believe that a flat-out is in a perfect square or circle shape. ;)

By the way, I think this is more or less what you mean: https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,22213.msg223905.html#msg223905
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Oshyan

A "distance from object" node would make this possible. We don't have one yet but it could be added in the future (and I hope it will).

- Oshyan

WAS

I imagine a distance from object node would be amazing for rock, plant, and tree populations, being able to subtly disturb the ground where objects sit.

Oshyan

Exactly, or to mask populations by object proximity (e.g. grass that grows under the shade of trees).

- Oshyan

Dune

Indeed, or prevent animals from different pops walking through eachother.

N-drju

I remember using the "Deer Hunter 2005" map editor and it had an option whereas you could define a texture around, each member of the population.

A "proximity shader" input socket in the population / object node would be wonderful. You could, for example, define a leafy texture and then add twigs, branches, pine cones etc. using that shader's coverage.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"