FEATURE REQUESTS

Started by rolland1013, October 03, 2018, 03:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaf

I'm going to repeat a request I made long ago.  Never did hear why it wouldn't be useful or very hard to implement.  A simple "do not clear render output" checkbox.  One would do a crop and with that checkbox checked, make a change like to a surface shader and then do another crop near or next to the first one and then render again.  And then, if desired, do a third, fourth, etc. Much quicker and easier than saving off crops and comparing each in an editor.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

digitalguru

I would imagine that's quite easy to do, all it would need is some way to step through/read any renders output to the Automatic Render Output files folder.

It's something I do on every Terragen session (and all users of Terragen I'd imagine) It would be a very useful feature.

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

Quote from: jaf on June 21, 2019, 12:05:31 PM
I'm going to repeat a request I made long ago.  Never did hear why it wouldn't be useful or very hard to implement.  A simple "do not clear render output" checkbox.  One would do a crop and with that checkbox checked, make a change like to a surface shader and then do another crop near or next to the first one and then render again.  And then, if desired, do a third, fourth, etc. Much quicker and easier than saving off crops and comparing each in an editor.

I have been dreaming of that feature as well!  Great Idea, since render iteration in Terragen is what we all do over and over.  I hate how the frame buffer clears to black ever render.

kentm

This is one thing I'd love as well, for my 2 cents.

Personally I'd love it if new features could be put on hold for a little bit and have the dev team focus on UX & workflow enhancements. Terragen, in my opinion is at an AMAZING state as far as toolsets go and its the perfect time to focus instead on ways to refine the UI and streamline the workflows.

I'm new again to the program and am just getting back into it, though I was briefly a part of the original beta years (I forget but I'm going to say v 0.5?), and do want to say that I really am blown away by what its possible to do with Terragen and the functions that have been added to the program, so I'd love to see the UI and workflow getting some real attention.

Oshyan

Improvements to the render view are planned for the future and would incorporate some similar functionality to what you're referring to ("don't clear the previous render").

We don't plan to support unusual atmospheric and optical effects at this time, however.

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on June 21, 2019, 03:50:36 PM
We don't plan to support unusual atmospheric and optical effects at this time, however.

- Oshyan

I believe he's trying to descibr ice particles in the air when it's below freezing point. Not unusual, actually very common globally, and would be a nice effect with TG's atmosphere tab. A "Temperature" slider even that creates halo around light sources. Colder it is, I believer the further the halo is seen from the source, and more dense it's effect. This is commonly seen with the sun because most people are indoors during dawn, and not in northern or southern hemispheres, but this phenomenon is very common at night with the moon.

Rainbow effect isn't as common and comes down to where you are in relation to lighting. More a post-processing thing.

But having a halo effect from ice particles would add a level of realism for light sources and sun/moons.

Another render related feature request here.  Wouldn't it be nice if we could render a particular set of chosen frames, and frame ranges like you can do by command line rendering right in Terragen.

We can render a sequence by a certain interval, but why not have the option to render Frames "1-100, 115, 116, 128, 132-134, 150-255" right within Terragen?

This would be very helpful for me, so if it's easy to implement please do so Master Matt.  ;)

-Derek

WAS

Quote from: D.A. Bentley on July 08, 2019, 02:06:31 PM
Another render related feature request here.  Wouldn't it be nice if we could render a particular set of chosen frames, and frame ranges like you can do by command line rendering right in Terragen.

We can render a sequence by a certain interval, but why not have the option to render Frames "1-100, 115, 116, 128, 132-134, 150-255" right within Terragen?

This would be very helpful for me, so if it's easy to implement please do so Master Matt.  ;)

-Derek

That's a pretty good idea actually and doesn't seem like too much would need to altered by targeted frames.

kentm

I'd like to cast a vote for having a render/RTP window open at the same time as a 3d Preview window.

...I'm trying to punch a hole into a cloud in a specific spot and am having to jump back and forth between the two states/view styles in the one pane to adjust the position of the SSShader and its a bit frustrating. I CAN do it numerically of course but it sure would be a lot easier if I could drag the handle around in one window and have the immediate feedback from the RTP preview.

Oshyan

RTP will have drag handles in upcoming version 4.4. Multiple simultaneous preview windows should be a possibility in the future.

- Oshyan

Dune

I've written it several times, but it's easier to punch a hole in skies with a projected white circle (inverted of course), instead of laborously moving around SSS's.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on July 17, 2019, 01:38:36 AM
I've written it several times, but it's easier to punch a hole in skies with a projected white circle (inverted of course), instead of laborously moving around SSS's.

And many thanks for that Ulco...a most useful suggestion then and now.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

rnasielerge

Is there a general feature request discussion on the forum?
Viva Britain! valutx.com

WAS

Quote from: rnasielerge on August 04, 2019, 02:25:45 PMIs there a general feature request discussion on the forum?

This has sorta become the informal request thread, I guess. There is no formal request discussion.

I would like to have the ability to render an animation sequence and have the resulting frames be saved at the size that was specified by the crop frame instead of including the empty black space.  Mostly I would find this useful because I render lots of seed animations of clouds to search for interesting cloud formations, so I am ending up with thousands of frames with "Black Bottoms" since I am mostly only concerned with the sky above the horizon.  Sometimes I render "Above The Clouds" cloud seed animations though so in these cases I would have a black upper area in the image.

If this "Crop Save" option was a feature it would save me some disk space, since even black space in an image takes up bytes, and also my preview thumbnails would be more useful    ;)

-Derek