V-Disp and colouring test

Started by j meyer, August 07, 2019, 12:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j meyer

Hi there,
long time no image post.
To change that here is a little test I did recently. After seeing and inspecting René's
Manhattan Project.... uhm errrh Manhattan .tgd(thanks René) it dawned on me that
I had never tried to apply an Alpha (Depth Grab) as Vector-Displacement. So I went
ahead and did it.
And while I was at it I tried to apply some colours with colour adjusted image masks
as well.

VD---test-2-col---d6aa6.jpg

For your convenience here is a comparison gif of another version.

VD----test-2b.gif

WAS

Quote from: j meyer on August 07, 2019, 12:43:13 PMHi there,
long time no image post.
To change that here is a little test I did recently. After seeing and inspecting René's
Manhattan Project.... uhm errrh Manhattan .tgd(thanks René) it dawned on me that
I had never tried to apply an Alpha (Depth Grab) as Vector-Displacement. So I went
ahead and did it.
And while I was at it I tried to apply some colours with colour adjusted image masks
as well.

VD---test-2-col---d6aa6.jpg

For your convenience here is a comparison gif of another version.

VD----test-2b.gif

That's pretty cool, and you don't get weird angling? Usually without actual R and B data the vector displacement will lean a direction.

Oshyan

DocCharly65

So cool! Looks great!
Funny thing: last weekend I watched Andromeda Strain on TV and when I saw this I was immediately remembered to that film! :)

cyphyr

www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

N-drju

Interesting feature. Though I would not recommend it to people with hole-o-phobia. ;)
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

Nice to see you again, Jochen! Great effect, looks like something organic.

The vdisp 'problem' is however still present. It's all displaced to left and up, at least the ribbons are. Can't see how the holes are done, separete normal displacement?
I've used vdisp to get outcrops on many occasions (trying to avoid a compute terrain/normal), and if using any other than perlin, you get ridges on one side and billows on the other. The best way to get say billows on each side is to mask each side's vdsip by an angle mask, and use 4 vdisp shaders.
But then it's easier to just add one compute terrain/normal  ;)

j meyer

Thanks all. :)

Indeed the vdisp 'problem' (weird angling) is still there in some places unfortunately,
but nonetheless  vdisp yields better results than normal displacement here. Lowered
the x and z values and upped the y to compensate a bit.
A compute terrain/normal didn't help either.
Ribbons/veins and holes are both done with the same tiling depth grab in one step.
Only colours are done with 3 masks derived from the depth grab.Topmost ribbons,
the smaller ones and the holes.

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

WAS

Quote from: j meyer on August 08, 2019, 12:27:43 PMThanks all. :)

Indeed the vdisp 'problem' (weird angling) is still there in some places unfortunately,
but nonetheless  vdisp yields better results than normal displacement here. Lowered
the x and z values and upped the y to compensate a bit.
A compute terrain/normal didn't help either.
Ribbons/veins and holes are both done with the same tiling depth grab in one step.
Only colours are done with 3 masks derived from the depth grab.Topmost ribbons,
the smaller ones and the holes.

I wonder if you could use a twist and sheer to lean back the displacement.

Dune

It would tilt the whole lot. You could add a + or - color to the vdisp input, but that wouldn't remedy it really. What I said earlier; you'd basically need 4 vdisps in all different directions masked by those directions (normals).

j meyer

Ulco, have you ever tried your 4 vdisp method with a seamless tiling image?
My guess would be that you would loose the seamlessness or am I wrong?

SILENCER

That first image
You ever see The Andromeda Strain?
Reminds me of the inside of the Scoop VII satellite

Dune

I've experimented with it, but never adequate enough to determine that. But I'd say you're right. Vdisp is still a bit awkward. Btw. was it 32-bit exr you used or 'just' a grey tiff?

j meyer

Silencer - I'm not sure wether I've seen it or not. If so it was long ago.

The basic 'hills' were done with a 32-bit exr, but for the 'veins and holes' I've
used a 16-bit greyscale psd (ZB-Depth-Grab).