New forum version and theme - updates ongoing

Started by Oshyan, August 03, 2019, 07:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Quote from: DocCharly65 on August 04, 2019, 04:30:11 PMWow! Very different...

I can't say if I like or don't like the new forum design so far. It depends on how it can be handled in the future, how quickly I find things that I am looking for and how it can be individually adapted to your own needs.

Right now I like the fresh look. But the contrast in the old look had a special charm and has stood out from many other forums.

But I'll patiently wait and see, what happens next, what possibilities this forum version will offer...

Though might I say your Avatar brings a special charm to the template. :P

Asterlil

I am following Planetside, but I sought ought your Twitter home page and "liked" everything in sight to see if the twitter algorithm will give you better visibility in my feed.

WAS

So a little unintuitive for mobile but posting actions etc are in the User Actions button. Which brings up a whole annoying overlay. Buttons work fine. Don't get their logic sometimes; just trying to be flashy?

I'm case anyone is confused that's where they are at.

Dune

One other thing that's different is the linking. Previously a link would open in a _blank window, which I prefer. Now it replaces the thread you're in, which makes it harder to get back to where you were. Can that be changed? I guess it can.

DocCharly65

Good morning Ulco :)

I usually open links by clicking on the the mousewheel button. In most brouwsers this should open  the link in a new tab.

Dune

Thanks Nils. I know, but I have to get that into my system again  ;)

Another thing that is annoying is that if you login, previously the time you wanted to stay loggged in would be remembered (I set it at 'forever' just once). Now, I've gone away from my machine for a while (hour) and had to login again, because I forgot to set 'forever'. Not terrible, but still... have to put that in my system too.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on August 05, 2019, 02:46:40 AMOne other thing that's different is the linking. Previously a link would open in a _blank window, which I prefer. Now it replaces the thread you're in, which makes it harder to get back to where you were. Can that be changed? I guess it can.

I noticed that too. I had to right-click -> new tab.

Oshyan

Clicking on images mostly gives me a new window still here. For example in your post here:
https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php?msg=267318
All 4 of those images open in a new window. Do they not for you? 

Sometimes I get image expanding in the post area, not sure if that's just for images previously posted with our old image handling system. But in any case the behavior seems correct *most* of the time, fortunately. 

If you have an example thread that shows the wrong behavior link it here and I'll take a look. I know I've seen it too, recently, but it also happened occasionally on the old forums.

There is also a way to insert an image in-line into your message. Once you add an attachment there's an "insert" button...

- Oshyan

WAS

I'm not sure if this was mentioned (I didn't notice) but clicking on the icon of a forum on the main board that is lit up (new messages) it will take you to a list of only the new messages. Honestly don't think I ever noticed the buttons were clickable. Lol In fact in other forum software I'd remove them and just use the whole row color as a indicator.

Screenshot_208.jpg Screenshot_209.jpg

Oshyan

Quote from: WASasquatch on August 07, 2019, 03:47:00 PMI'm not sure if this was mentioned (I didn't notice) but clicking on the icon of a forum on the main board that is lit up (new messages) it will take you to a list of only the new messages. Honestly don't think I ever noticed the buttons were clickable. Lol In fact in other forum software I'd remove them and just use the whole row color as a indicator.

Yeah, that's always been there actually. :D

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on August 07, 2019, 03:50:44 PM
Quote from: WASasquatch on August 07, 2019, 03:47:00 PMI'm not sure if this was mentioned (I didn't notice) but clicking on the icon of a forum on the main board that is lit up (new messages) it will take you to a list of only the new messages. Honestly don't think I ever noticed the buttons were clickable. Lol In fact in other forum software I'd remove them and just use the whole row color as a indicator.

Yeah, that's always been there actually. :D

- Oshyan

Haha, I usually find them disruptive  since I'm usually looking at the recent topic or just new topics page. I accidentally clicked on it and I was like "Where am I?"

Dune

Never noticed that button either, always using this one. Not skipping any new post.

Matt

Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

cyphyr

I'm having problems posting anything that has a link in FireFox.

I keep getting a pop-up:

CleanTalk:***Forbidden. Please enable JavaScript.***

Then when I go to post again after removing any links I am told I have already posted only to find that there is nothing there.

Can't seem to find any reference to JavaScript in my current version of FireFox.
I thought JavaScrit was pretty much superseded.
And I have just checked and it is enabled :(

CleanTalk.JPG
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Oshyan

Strange error. CleanTalk is an anti-spam system we're testing out. I've seen a couple issues with it, they seem fairly rare, but I'm not sure we'll continue with it given those and your experience here.

Do you have any ad or script blocking plugins enabled? How did you add the URL, simply pasting it in directly to the text in your edit window, or did you highlight existing text and add a link to it?

Btw Javascript is very much alive, in fact it is more and more popular. Most of the interactivity or dynamics you see on websites these days are powered by Javascript, rather than older tech like Flash. :D

- Oshyan