New forum version and theme - updates ongoing

Started by Oshyan, August 03, 2019, 07:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyphyr

Quote from: WASasquatch on August 15, 2019, 12:08:31 PMI knew someone would say this after others said the other was too compact and in the center of the screen. Lol
Sorry for the late reply, been away out of internet range :)

You can't please everyone and I'm not that bothered really.
My main monitor is  HD ultra wide which comes in at 3440 x 1440 so if you can make it work with that as a separate setting ... then wooHoo :)
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

WAS

Quote from: cyphyr on August 17, 2019, 11:04:17 AM
Quote from: WASasquatch on August 15, 2019, 12:08:31 PMI knew someone would say this after others said the other was too compact and in the center of the screen. Lol
Sorry for the late reply, been away out of internet range :)

You can't please everyone and I'm not that bothered really.
My main monitor is  HD ultra wide which comes in at 3440 x 1440 so if you can make it work with that as a separate setting ... then wooHoo :)

Yeah and I know people who already use 8k displays cause of their gaming rigs, so only a matter of time before that spills over to peoples workspaces, which would make viewing the forum even harder with it stretching to compensate.

I honestly think Desktop browsers like Mobile, should start incorporating their own resolutions for the viewport. On mobile, for example, my phone is the same resolution as your desktop, but the browser doesn't waste computation on that, and displays the browser with a maximum width of 480px/vw (in portrait).

Denis Sirenko

Honestly, the previous narrow design scared me a little, I did not understand what was happening. And this design, especially white ... I'm just in love.

UPD: Ups, Google Translate (an extension for Google Chrome) stopped working here, which shows a quick translation near to the selected piece of text. Maybe this is due to the appeared citation functionality.

WAS

Quote from: Denis Sirenko on August 20, 2019, 04:36:20 AMHonestly, the previous narrow design scared me a little, I did not understand what was happening. And this design, especially white ... I'm just in love.

UPD: Ups, Google Translate (an extension for Google Chrome) stopped working here, which shows a quick translation near to the selected piece of text. Maybe this is due to the appeared citation functionality.

Well that's not good. I wonder what would break it. The content that isn't static is what you edit or post with quick reply. Everything else is and should be available to DOM parsers.

Denis Sirenko

I don't know what "static content" is. But when you select a piece of text in a post, the "Quote selected text" button appears. I think it intercepts the initiative and does not allow Google translate to do its job. But this is just my guess.

WAS

It has to be something with their DOM parser inspecting the page. I tried the Google Translator for Firefox (a plugin) and it was able to translate all the topics I visited to Spanish, French, and Swedish. Perhaps there is another tool you can use?

I don't know if you are familiar with UserScripts for browsers, but if all else fails I could create one that like, I don't know, adds a button to the top of the page with a dropdown of languages that you can select to change the page language. Might be helpful for others.

WAS

This may not solve your problem, @Denis Sirenko , but I implemented the full Google Translate API and a selector (which will auto-translate): https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,26862.0.html

Tangled-Universe

I have some reservations about the new forum theme/implementation.

I find posting images not so straight forward. You can only do it when pressing reply, not quick reply.
Also, needing to select them AND press upload?

I just altered a message with a lot of info and accidentally pressed reply instead of save, causing a new frame to load to reply in the topic, while I actually meant to save my changes to my message.
Of course, my mistake, but because the forum layout still presents it so clearly I was easily tricked in doing so.

Dune

Yes, it takes getting used to, but I do like it now. I always typed in my login stuff and hit enter, discovering that after an hour I was logged out. The previous version remembered my 'forever' preference, this one doesn't.

Oshyan

The previous forum version and theme *also* did not allow you to attach things with Quick Reply. I've always been annoyed at that limitation as well, but it's not new, at the least. As for the new attachment system, I agree the extra click of "Upload" is annoying but... remember back to the old system? You used to have to do this to attach multiple files:

1: Click "Add attachment"
2: Add each attachment *one by one*

If you have 5 attachments, that's 5 clicks of each, 10 total.

In the new system you click Add Files, select as many as you want. Then click Upload once. Maximum 2 clicks for any number of files (unless they are located in different folders, of course). So the new way is more efficient, though I agree in some way it is less intuitive, which is interesting.

As for the forum logged-in status being remembered, Matt has also encountered this, while I haven't. So it's quite odd. I don't really have a solution except to try clearing your cookies or at least deleting the ones for Planetside, then re-login and be sure to check "Forever".

- Oshyan

Dune

I always have my cookies and trackers cleaned by CCleaner after each day online, and previously that didn't change the remembering of my prefs, so the information must have been stored elsewhere, maybe in the forum or link itself or so. But it's no big deal, just have to remember it.

Oshyan

Huh, that's quite strange as I'm 99% certain that forum logged-in status - and indeed logged-in status for *any* online service - is always stored in Cookies. Do you lose logged-in status for *other* websites?

- Oshyan

Dune

Yeah, cookies are dumped then too, and I thought it was strange, but never complained :P  And I can't say that it happens elsewhere, as TG is the only login I actually use much. Others are very sporadic.

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on September 01, 2019, 03:30:22 PMHuh, that's quite strange as I'm 99% certain that forum logged-in status - and indeed logged-in status for *any* online service - is always stored in Cookies. Do you lose logged-in status for *other* websites?

- Oshyan

sessions can be stored in cookies or URI query (or passed view hidden forms). Doesn't require cookies, and if you have them disabled a properly written system would check
with isset($_COOKIE['session']) and fallback on sessions. Cookies just store the session ID hash from PHP. I believe to truly comply with European Union you aren't suppose to store any cookies until they agree.