multiple glass shaders

Started by gasbutan, January 26, 2020, 02:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KlausK

Here are some more test renderings with different settings.
All path traced. Settings not mentioned have not changed.

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Dune

Tangled-Universe

Yup indeed, won't take long until Oshyan or Matt will join this discussion here.
This should also affect underwater surfaces I'd tend to say, but those work fine with RDM., thus perhaps it might be an over-agressive optimization of the path tracer.

KyL

Interesting.

Did you guys try turning on "Ray Trace Everything", out of curiosity?

gasbutan

Quote from: KyL on January 29, 2020, 04:13:33 PMInteresting.

Did you guys try turning on "Ray Trace Everything", out of curiosity?
Yes, I did. No difference.

KyL

KlausK

Hi,

I just installed the latest Frontier4.4.48 and gave the 3 glassplates another try.
Here is the result. Weird. This can`t be right, not?
This is the identical file which gave the top left result in the previous composited picture.
I attached the scene file again if anybody wants to take a look, again.

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

WAS

Quote from: KlausK on February 04, 2020, 07:27:47 AMHi,

I just installed the latest Frontier4.4.48 and gave the 3 glassplates another try.
Here is the result. Weird. This can`t be right, not?
This is the identical file which gave the top left result in the previous composited picture.
I attached the scene file again if anybody wants to take a look, again.

CHeers, Klaus

Huh. Wonder if this explains why my ocean is currently looking very speckled with black dots. Just installed latest frontier before working on the water. Refraction on even the top level don't look right.

WAS

This doesn't look right, especially at MPD 0.6 and AA6, everything is fairly smooth minus caching, but that water is atrocious. Just basic water shader, decay distance at 75. Foam is white so it's only where it's at and shouldn't be effecting this.

Matt

@WAS, What does it look like in previous versions? Could it be the roughness?
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Matt

@KlausK, I'll work with your file to fix whatever's causing this. Thanks.

WAS

Quote from: Matt on February 04, 2020, 07:47:24 PM@WAS, What does it look like in previous versions? Could it be the roughness?

That's a good point. I did up the roughness up to .05, though I swear I do this for ocean water all the time. Could be the sun angle on the reflections. I'm throwing it at my render node tonight which isn't upgraded so I'll know if there is any real difference.

Tangled-Universe

I have had some of these issues as well, but could not reproduce it really.

Matt

This is fixed in v4.4.49 (coming soon).

gasbutan