All these worlds...

Started by raymoh, February 03, 2019, 03:07:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benedict_Roff-Marsh

"A panoramic view of an upcoming thunderstorm on a habitable exomoon" has a rather Roger Dean feel to it.

:-)

raymoh

In the Rainbow Nebula:
Two different siblings: In the early days of this solar system, these two dwarf planets captured each other and since then have been gravitationally bound and orbiting around each other and together around their parent star.

Ridged moon by RichTwo (Thanks!), some color changes.
"I consider global warming much less dangerous than global dumbing down"   (Lisa Fitz, German comedian)

RichTwo

Some more varied terrain features - larger and higher plus flattened areas would add interest, but the texturing is quite nice.  And you are more than welcome!
They're all wasted!

DocCharly65

Dito. Some Hills would be nice. But anyway good!

raymoh

Version 2:
Some adjustments of displacements (new/changed), some minor color corrections. The impression of the "Great Vastness" should be preserved as far as possible.
"I consider global warming much less dangerous than global dumbing down"   (Lisa Fitz, German comedian)

raymoh

A hypothetical primeval and hostile "Super Venus": A planet like Venus, only bigger and more massive.Temperatures above 500° (Celsius), continuous volcanic activity, a toxic atmosphere with over 200 atmospheres of pressure and more than twice the Earth's gravitational pull make this planet a alien "Dante's Inferno". This planet orbits a close binary star system, whose components are visible as pale disks in this dense atmosphere.

Dune

That really looks inhospitable. Great render. One thing I would do is vary the stone/rock texture a bit more, with areas of really blackened stone and areas where soot/dust covers them. You can try using the warp by normal feature in an added color to get tiny differences in stone texture, setting it to 1 or minus 1.

raymoh

A hypothetical landscape on TRAPPIST-1 f, the fifth planet of the TRAPPIST-1 system, about 40 light-years from Earth.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRAPPIST-1
According to recent research, the planet is slightly larger and slightly more massive than Earth and still lies within the star's habitable zone. This cold world receives only slightly more than one-third as much radiation from its sun as Earth, predominantly in the red and infrared regions of the spectrum. The faint visible light has a distinct red cast. Should this planet have an atmosphere, larger water deposits are also possible, increasing the likelihood of some form of life.
The unspectacular image shows a canyon-like and cold, partly snow-covered mountain region at the everlasting day/night border of this world.  The sedimentary layers of the mountains may contain fossils of earlier life forms. After one of the rather rare flare eruptions of the host star slightly above the horizon, the local life forms have discharged the excess of UV and X-ray radiation in the form of bioluminescence.
Just at the horizon the so far outermost planets of the system are visible in the dark sky. At this time, planet g appears about the size of the Moon in Earth's sky, planet h about a quarter of that.  In a few hours planet g will transit (occult) planet h.

Noeticus

Quote from: raymoh on April 08, 2019, 03:09:50 PMA new render of my "Red Worlds"-series:

[attach=1]

An imaginary view of the surface of Barnard's Star b, the nearest exoplanet orbiting a single star.

===============

This is a fantastic image.  Wow!!!

pixelpusher636

This is some really great work. My favorite would have to be water world. I like the colors.
The more I use Terragen, the more I realize the world is not so small.

raymoh

Two new renders of my "Red Worlds" series: As the name suggests, I portray planets orbiting red dwarfs here. Due to this limitation, the images sometimes show certain similarities, which at first sight seem "boring" when looking at them. I try to counter this with detailed representations.

A real solar system at a distance of 12.5 light years in the constellation Aries. At least 2 planets orbit a faint, small red dwarf.
The system is with about 8 billion years much older than our solar system.

For those interested and curious:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teegarden%27s_Star
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teegarden%27s_Star_b
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teegarden%27s_Star_c
https://www.aanda.org/articles/aa/pdf/2019/07/aa35460-19.pdf

Facts:
The planets b and c both move in the habitable zone and receive slightly more (b: 115%) and significantly less (c: 37%) radiation from their faint parent star, mainly infrared radiation.  Due to the lack of visible light, the surface of both planets is bathed in a dim yellow-reddish twilight. similar to just after sunset on Earth. However, the bright disk of the parent star is considerably larger as seen from both planets than the Sun is from Earth (b: 4.5x, c: 2.5x).  You can look into it, but it quickly becomes uncomfortable. If both planets have an atmosphere, water and/or ice could also be present. Both planets are most likely in bound rotation, that means they always show the same side to their parent star, like the moon to the earth.The sun is always at the same place in the sky. There is no "day" and no "night", only a day side and a night side. This is not favorable for the development of life, but it is not impossible.

Speculations:
I assume that the atmospheres and the water of the two planets have already thinned out considerably after 8 billion years, not least due to the radiation of the nearby parent star. There is hardly any cloud formation anymore. Tectonic activity has practically ceased and most of the mountains have been eroded over time by wind and water. On planet b the little water of the dayside is still present in the form of many small shallow ponds. Planet c probably has more water, but is already partially iced over. In the shallow ponds of planet b and the ice-free zones of planet c there may still be lower forms of life: local bacteria, algae and fungi.  Should the two planets once have harbored higher life, it has probably already become extinct within the last 8 billion years.

Of course, everything can also be completely different....

To the attention:
In the renders the size proportions of the solar disk and the planets visible in the sky (b from c and c from b) are correct in relation to the image area.

WAS

Loving all these renders. I can imagine the fly by animations of these landscapes..

DocCharly65

Verry impressive. The look of the last one I like most but I like the slightly visible plasma of the sun on the render before too.

raymoh

An older, but newly edited render:
The scene is totally fictitious, except for the name "Chara". Chara is a nearby, sun-like G-type star in the constellation of Canis Venatici, 27.5 light-years away from the Sun. Because of its properties it is a "solar analog" star.

Belated thanks to all file sharers who contributed to this image.

DocCharly65

Could be the cover of a Sifi-book or comic. :) Great!