Terragen 2 Release Announcement Discussion

Started by Oshyan, December 12, 2007, 07:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeathTwister

Hay Mat,

Oh thank you very much, updates to us are very nice, and helps us in more ways then you would expect /bows

can't ask for more at this point, many thanks from all of us.  So what's the Skivvy mate???? /winks

DT
Maylock Aromy DeathTwister Stansbury
ATOMIX Productions

nikita

I'm glad that all the waiting starts to pay off now.  :)

lightning

Quote from: joshbakr on March 24, 2008, 09:41:49 AM
Quote from: lightning on March 24, 2008, 03:28:15 AM
these look great matt ;D
i got this wee program that generates caustics if anyone wants it
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?hobghisnojr

Nice lead Lighting. I think I have tried this program in the past for use with TG9. But I did find that a photo of Caustics seemed to work better, at lease for me. And I'm sure as chornor said by using a Caustics Image Map placed under a Transparent Water Plane in TG Beta would also work. Just keep in mind that one usually only sees this effect with a high sun position and proper surface agitation. Attached is a caustics sample rendered in TG9. Not perfect but it does work.

i always loved looking at your water renders!

phil_DDIStudios

Whats the news on this? Still prefer a working BETA than one with 9 billion bugs (*ahem* *cough* DAZ)
Good work Planetside!

joshbakr

Anybody want to take a guess at what I'm dying to ask?

sonshine777

Quote from: joshbakr on April 10, 2008, 01:45:39 PM

Don't have a clue.  ;D
But I do have a theory on when the Beta will be released. It will be when we get this thread up to about 35 pages. ;D

PG

Quote from: joshbakr on April 10, 2008, 01:45:39 PM

Who's the stig? No? ah well, tried me best.
Can't wait for the beta though, I've got about 15 renders that keep crashing.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

forgeflow

I'm a bit concerned that the development of Terragen has stalled to a halt. The last update to the software dates back to September 7th, 2007. The promised release date has passed us by twice, and there is no final product, or any published update to the beta of the software, for 7 months. If this were free software I'd be a shit to complain about this, but this is something that I paid $200 for in the anticipation that release was imminent. The mailing list has gone completely silent, and I've been directed to this forum where everyone seems to be dancing around this question.

So? What's the plan? A schedule would be nice, or even an update of the beta would be nice.

PG

Well we have had plenty of news from many members of the dev team, and the pre-purchase option is a way to access the full features of Terragen 2 before it's released, it's no guarantee of a release date. Also, announcing release dates just puts more pressure on developers and we end up with a buggy release which people then proceed to complain about.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

dandelO

I am The Stig! You should see my on Gran Turismo!

Good things come to those who etc...

I'm perfectly happy to wait, I'd rather the surprise of the ultimate announcement that: 'It's HERE! Today! There you go folks, sorry for the delay but, I'm sure you'll all agree, the extra development time was WELL worth it!' Than the waiting on the specified deadline date, that the very small team are forced to meet.
Less pressure on everyones part that way than to keep saying, in not so many words: 'Come on, PS! Get your finger out, where's this release?'

I'll bide my time, but then again, I haven't paid yet... I see the other side to it too for the pre-purchasers.

lightning

Quote from: dandelO on April 10, 2008, 08:45:48 PM
I am The Stig! You should see my on Gran Turismo!

Good things come to those who etc...

HA the stig!!! you gota love top gear!!!!

Will

His concerns are justified but in really all we can do is wait. At least mat gave us pics of transparency.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

DeathTwister

That may be OK for you and me to wait, but they are loosing people right and left every where else it seems.  All have gone and left in the contests, as they got tired of waiting, or so thy said.  We see is all we can do.
Maylock Aromy DeathTwister Stansbury
ATOMIX Productions

Harvey Birdman

Yes, it's long overdue, but frankly, it's no surprise. I think I predicted this over a year ago here in this forum - no disrespect to Planetside intended, but it was obvious that long ago to anyone with experience in delivering commercial software apps that there was a long, long way to go before this was a finished, polished product.

I suspect it's getting closer now, and seeing as I've already choked up the cash, I guess I'll continue to wait.

I must say, though, that juvenile cheerleading and denigrating comments to those less patient, when coming from people who HAVEN'T PAID THE MONEY, are pretty friggin' irritating. If you haven't paid the money, shut the hell up when those that have are expressing their unhappiness.

joshbakr

My thoughts exactly Mr Harvey Birdman!

Ya know, all I keep hearing is "we don't want to put something out with Bugs"  Now seriously, do you really think there's "not" going to be some hidden unexpected bugs that crop up from time to time? Even after Matt thinks he's got it perfect?  No program is ever perfect and the only Perfect Person that ever existed was hung on a cross.

That said,  if we do encounter a few bugs after the Beta and the final release of TG2 comes out , so what?  We will cross that bridge when we come to it.  I say: Free The Beast!!  This is long overdue! 

Come on! Chant:  FREE THE BEAST!...............FREE THE BEAST!...............FREE THE BEAST!...............FREE THE BEAST!...............FREE THE BEAST!...............   ;D