Terragen 2 Release Announcement Discussion

Started by Oshyan, December 12, 2007, 07:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikita

By now I think it's either some power saving scheme turned on or some hardware problem.

rcallicotte

It's hard to know without being on the machine...
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

ZStar

calico, nikita,

Thanks again for your input.  I do not feel insulted.  I'll be the first to admit I am not as current on all the OS and hardware bells and whistles as used to be in the old DOS days - that probably dates me.   :D   I figure it probably is something simple - "now, where did Microsoft hide that option in this version?"    ;D

PG

This benchmark render that people have been doing, is that just the default scene? if so I got it in 1 minute 24 seconds.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Mr_Lamppost

Huge thanks for the new alpha. Just in time.  ;D ;D ;D

The project that I was working on got pushed over to my laptop to render last night so I could try out the alpha; it was always going to end up there as it was going to take a while.  Admittedly my laptop is not the best; Celeron M 1.5Ghz  but has previously been a respectable second to my desktop PC.  Just before I left the house for work this morning I had a quick look to see how it was getting on and only about 20% of the initial GI pass was complete and most of that is sky.  ??? :(  Panic time because I need this render like soon.  Nothing ventured... Started up my desktop, set the same scene rendering only at slightly higher resolution and went out. 

The laptop has been running for 19 1/2 hours and is not even half way through the GI pre pass. The desktop Pentium D 2 Ghz running the new alpha finished the scene in just shy of 6 hours.  ;D ;D ;D  No water but a couple of reflective shaders

It's official I need a new PC.
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

Matt

ZStar,

When you next see CPU usage higher than expected (i.e. when all renders and previews have stopped rendering), can you go to the Processes tab of the task manager, find tgd.exe and look at the value for tgd.exe in the CPU column? I would like to be absolutely sure that we're talking about Terragen using those CPU cycles rather than some other tasks.

If this still happens, can you start TG, don't touch anything, and let the preview finish rendering. Then report much CPU usage there is for tgd.exe.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

digidon

Quote from: PG on April 29, 2008, 02:41:36 PM
This benchmark render that people have been doing, is that just the default scene? if so I got it in 1 minute 24 seconds.

No, you can find the benchmark at this link.

http://tg2bench.kk3d.de/index.htm

Drocket

Hi Guys,

I have been using the bench mark scene and playing around with the thread settings but I am getting varying results, anywhere between 1.27s to 2:10s. I wasn't surprised by the differences in time depending on settings but I am also getting some large differences in time when using the same thread settings for the same scene, has anyone else noticed this?

I also noticed, though I think this was reported by Matt, that the memory is not released between renders, at one point I had Terragen using 1.2gb, funny enough that was when I had my fastest times.

I love the new control for navigating the scene :)

I have a Quad core Q6600 running at 2.4ghz, 2 gb ram, Windows XP SP2.

Drocket.

efflux

This is so cool. MASSIVE improvement with the Mac version. No sluggishness in UI.

Matt

Drocket,

Yes, there is a memory leak somewhere, and that might be causing a lot of these problems. I'm working on it now.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

PG

Quote from: digidon on April 29, 2008, 08:06:22 PM
Quote from: PG on April 29, 2008, 02:41:36 PM

No, you can find the benchmark at this link.

http://tg2bench.kk3d.de/index.htm

Ah yeah, I found that just after I posted that  ;D I got 1.24
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

echrei

Is there a possibility that you could implement a feature where renders could be resumed after Terragen has been quit? This would help because the renders take a long time and sometimes I have to boot into Windows to use other software. Thanks :)
15" MacBook Pro / 2.6GHz Penryn C2D / 4GB RAM / 500GB 7200RPM HDD / 8600M GT 512MB
Hackintosh / Dual X5680 @ 4.2GHz / 12GB RAM / 2TB HDD / GTX 480+260

nikita

Quote from: echrei on April 30, 2008, 06:18:59 PM
Is there a possibility that you could implement a feature where renders could be resumed after Terragen has been quit? This would help because the renders take a long time and sometimes I have to boot into Windows to use other software. Thanks :)

Uh? Use the windows version in the first place?

Oshyan

This is a very common feature request but unfortunately a rather difficult one to implement. We will look into the possibilities in the future, but it's definitely not something that will be added soon.

- Oshyan

echrei

Quote from: nikita on April 30, 2008, 06:40:37 PM

Uh? Use the windows version in the first place?

I only use Windows for Quartus and a few games, wouldn't be practical. Also, I benchmarked and the Windows version rendered slower.
15" MacBook Pro / 2.6GHz Penryn C2D / 4GB RAM / 500GB 7200RPM HDD / 8600M GT 512MB
Hackintosh / Dual X5680 @ 4.2GHz / 12GB RAM / 2TB HDD / GTX 480+260