vue - Spectral Atmospheres 2

Started by reck, August 13, 2008, 01:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reck

Quote from: Christopher on August 16, 2008, 06:39:06 AM
Quote from: reck on August 16, 2008, 05:57:27 AM
lol I think xpleet was just joking.

Well, if that was the case then perhaps i am too much of an old clam for my age.     ;D

Well I don't know, that's just how I took it. Unless he has seen some images that none of us have seen how can he be being serious.

reck

Tiny info.

"I had the chance to attend Siggraph 08 yesterday. E-on software showed Vue 7, and will be released late this year.
One of the mayor improvements is the direct control over oceans without using the function editor. When you create an ocean and a terrain is also created, the program will notice the interaction between land and water, creating foamy shore lines and white caps. A new dialog window will allow you to control the amount of withe caps, shore line foam and water turbulence among other things.
Spectral atmospheres is another improvement. Clouds look more real than ever due to better use of transparency and textures.
Also, render speed was improved. According to e-on software developers, it will render scenes up to 4 times faster than Vue 6.
Vue 6 Xtreme was another mayor improvement. Vue 7 menus will be part of Maya, 3DSMax, XSI, C4D and Lightwave; this will eliminate the need to switch between applications and will allow the artist to access all of Vue's tools from the host application."

JimB

Quote from: Xpleet on August 16, 2008, 12:25:31 AM
Terragen2 clouds suck because they aren't shadowed properly, -> meaning in the shadows there is still bump seen, while in reality, there isn't.
Mmmm. I think you'll find that if you play with the settings a bit more you can get exactly what you're talking about in TG.
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

sjefen

Quote from: JimB on August 16, 2008, 12:43:33 PM
Terragen2 clouds suck because they aren't shadowed properly, -> meaning in the shadows there is still bump seen, while in reality, there isn't.
Mmmm. I think you'll find that if you play with the settings a bit more you can get exactly what you're talking about in TG.

I understand what Xpleet is trying to say here. It would be nice to have a option that make the details not visible on the clouds where there are shadows. I've been trying to get this result for a very long time now, but with no luck. I'm not saying it's not possible, but if it is it's very hard and a option like this would be more then welcome.

Here are some images for better understanding. If you look inside the clouds there are very few details seen.
http://www2.lib.uchicago.edu/~dean/blog/cumulonimbus.jpg
http://www.maltaweather.info/05_cunim_city.jpg

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Xpleet

Ok firstoff i don't use inbuilt terraingens at all, that sucks too :)

i use imported heightfields because you don't need to see how the earth rounds up beyond the horrizon ::) but you want a nice "scene" which is what Vue is for.

Actually Vue has a planetary system aswell, and so is the atmosphere but not an option for a global terrain which i find useless unless someone likes to do a clipless animation.

In other wrods, no i don't think that Vue's atmosphere is inferior, in fact I think the haze and fog system is better than Tg2's :)

I'm not defending anything i'm just clearing up the false-jabber about Vue and what it isn't

E-on have recognized that their clouds suck because they are blurry and don't have the billowy look of real clouds, but sometimes Vue clouds can look very realistic when they have low edge-bias sometimes in the mid evening, especially the cloudfade in the distance is a very nice feat.

sjefen

Quote from: sjefen on August 16, 2008, 02:00:37 PM
Quote from: JimB on August 16, 2008, 12:43:33 PM

I understand what Xpleet is trying to say here. It would be nice to have a option that make the details not visible on the clouds where there are shadows. I've been trying to get this result for a very long time now, but with no luck. I'm not saying it's not possible, but if it is it's very hard and a option like this would be more then welcome.

Here are some images for better understanding. If you look inside the clouds there are very few details seen.
http://www2.lib.uchicago.edu/~dean/blog/cumulonimbus.jpg
http://www.maltaweather.info/05_cunim_city.jpg

- Terje

I'll take back what I said here. I have figured it out :P

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Christopher

Quote from: Xpleet on August 16, 2008, 02:07:18 PM
Ok firstoff i don't use inbuilt terraingens at all, that sucks too :)

i use imported heightfields because you don't need to see how the earth rounds up beyond the horrizon ::) but you want a nice "scene" which is what Vue is for.

Actually Vue has a planetary system aswell, and so is the atmosphere but not an option for a global terrain which i find useless unless someone likes to do a clipless animation.

In other wrods, no i don't think that Vue's atmosphere is inferior, in fact I think the haze and fog system is better than Tg2's :)

I'm not defending anything i'm just clearing up the false-jabber about Vue and what it isn't

E-on have recognized that their clouds suck because they are blurry and don't have the billowy look of real clouds, but sometimes Vue clouds can look very realistic when they have low edge-bias sometimes in the mid evening, especially the cloudfade in the distance is a very nice feat.

Vue planetary system? The atmosphere is a one-sided sky dome, there is nothing global about it. The haze and fog in Vue may look good at times but i see to many users using mass amounts of backround haze and Vue looks like where i live, ugly air and never a clear day. You know the haze in TG2 can be made to look like Vue's haze where it is thick and dark. Something i see in Vue all of the time.

I have never seen a Vue cloud that told me, hey that looks real and i have been looking at Vue 6's clouds ever since the day Vue 6 made it's debut. The meta clouds are the most versatile and they still look mediocre at best. Low edge-bias is possible in TG2 as well, i guess it's just not done a lot here. Who says that clouds can not have a nice fade in TG2?

My only reasons for not using TG2 at the moment are the following:

My machine is 3 years old so forget it.     :'(
You can't paint terrains or objects.
Lack of object/texture support.
Math Nodes vs Make Hills with Valley.
Lacking many types of erosion and River Networks.
Needs a rock tool.
Needs more camera types and lenses.
No DOF.
No has ever been able to make cresting waves.
Needs a simple dynamic particle engine.
Have not seen true cirrus clouds or thunder heads.

Other then that i like TG2 for what it is. It's a worthy effort. I might come back to TG if these features are implemented in a few years but if not well i am way to limited as an artist and i'll continue to use something else which more then likely will be a combination of software. Please don't tell me it's the artist and not the tools crap. It's both. Lack of tools can limit use and when use is limited, an artist can only stretch so much. Maybe i'll take up matte painting.    ;D

reck

lightning

Quote from: reck on August 22, 2008, 05:55:34 PM
Is this genuinely vue 7?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8mLPEsUYiM

i think it is a bit of both (vue 6 and vue 7) the starting cloud shot i think is vue 7 because they look very realistic and some shots such as the tropical island shot and the second to last snow mountain shot are from vue 7 i have saw the same shot without the clouds which was rendered in vue 6 a couple of years ago but this new one with the clouds looks way more realistic also the shot when the camera flys over the icy land looks like vue 7 as well :)

Seth

dandelO

Very impressive video. Looks fantastic.

old_blaggard

Very nice.  Anyone find a higher-quality one to see more details?

Some of the clouds in the video (especially during the jet-engine scene) really don't compare with Terragen's, though - some of them look quite good, though.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

reck

Quote from: old_blaggard on August 23, 2008, 06:03:15 PM
Very nice.  Anyone find a higher-quality one to see more details?

No not yet, although you can select the "watch in high quality" setting in the link above.

latego

To my knowledge, the real big news for version 7 is a through integration of the xtream edition in the hosting application and probably significant improvement in radiosity handling (i.e. targetting the architectural rendering market).

For general users, there should be improvements in clouds (the talks about particle system were just daydreams), non-flat leaves in SolidGrowth plants, automatic foam generation where liquids hit the ground, improvements in terrains and ecosystems and so on.

In other words, if you are an architect, surely something to have a hard look at, otherwise an upgrade much less earth shaking w.r.t. the 5->6 jump.

E-On has been strangely silent (up to a couple of hours ago their website was still saying that they would demonstrate 7 at Siggraph), no renders have surfaced... actually, there are more evidences of the existence of Bigfoots than of Vue7 ;D.

Bye!!!

Oshyan

The vast majority of that V7 video seems to be old material, which is odd. See the Vue 6.5 video here: http://www.e-onsoftware.com/products/vue/vue_6_infinite/v6i_video_layout.php The bit at the beginning does look fairly nice though. I'm interested to see more.

- Oshyan