Started by rcallicotte, February 03, 2009, 11:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaps

Huuu

I thought it is a cauliflower   ;D

Sorry Martin, I wasn't able to resist.

Pascal

Tangled-Universe

I tend to consider it a compliment rather than an insult, since cauliflower looks are what we're also after besides lighting :)

neuspadrin

looks a tad like a snowy hill... 

moodflow

I gave this one a quick go with some settings I had worked out on another cloud study I did a while back. 
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

Saurav

The lighting in the clouds is very good in that render. I think we are getting closer. :)

domdib

Quick suggestion - I notice the sky colour in the original cloud picture has more of a greenish blue tinge. It might be interesting to redo some of the renders here with a light yellow sun, as this tends to shift the sky colour in that direction. Then it would be easier to compare the two. Just a thought  :)

rcallicotte

I'm continuing to try things, but haven't believed what I have is worth posting yet.  Should be soon enough, though. 

Anyway, Frank's thread "The Big One - v#" is looking pretty sweet.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

PG

Could work for a supercell.

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on February 09, 2009, 11:59:16 AM
Damn what a failure is this, look below.
I thought the distanceshaders' mask wasn't THAT obvious and also that the density of shapes would be less.
Also the lighting isn't near anything similar to the tests...
Back to the drawing board it seems :)
By the way, the approach for this technique is based on FrankB's cumulus pack.
This consists of 2 cloud layers mixed with different noise scales to avoid boring bottoms of the clouds.

Martin
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Tangled-Universe

This is an extreme WIP...so don't mention anything about the terrain, cloud-positioning etc. etc.
I just post this because of the clouds :)

Seth

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on February 10, 2009, 12:16:35 PM
This is an extreme WIP...so don't mention anything about the terrain, cloud-positioning etc. etc.
I just post this because of the clouds :)

the terrain is so baaad !!! :p
lol

FrankB

I don't know Martin, you failed on the terrain....  ;D

kidding aside:
You've got a good lighting going on, definitely the right direction, but the cloud shapes have issues still.
For one, it's a big triangle. Not much you can do about it other than re-seeding.
Secondly, the smaller shapes need you attention.
Keep on going :-)

Cheers,
Frank

PG

You know I've never really thought clamp low works properly for clouds. Because it cuts it off there's no variation so it looks weird.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Saurav

Updated version of the clouds I was working on before. I reduced internal scattering and upped the ambient lighting as TU suggested. Exported as an EXR file and tonemapped in PS, colour corrected in Lightroom.

4.5Hrs render time.

FrankB

hmm, ... no. ;D
Saurav, the fake scattering is still too strong, plus there's that wrong looking light blueish tint on the tall ones.
And the undersides are not realistic either. You seem to be mixing two cloud layers, which have different colors.
Overall it looks to me like your're getting further away from what worked well in your previous images.
I suggest you get back to a previous version and start again from there. Looking at your last image again, the suggestion on reducing the fake scattering was a good one, but you have to reduce it much further. Now that I had that second look at the previous one, I also see this strange blue tint there.
Oh, and a last tip: the warping it too strong as well, as it disorts the little "bubbles" too much.

happy, continued rendering :-)

Cheers,
Frank

rcallicotte

The lighting is what I've learned from Frank's file and the shape is from Luc's.  The color doesn't match the original (photo at the beginning of this thread) yet.  The sense of lightness as in the original photo is missing, too.

Comments and especially critiques are welcome.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?