Parting the Sea

Started by Mohawk20, February 13, 2009, 11:38:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PG

The second one looks like it is a heightfield and the water basin is intersecting it rather than rising into it as the first image does.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Mohawk20

Another POV change and sun change... Better PG?

Still looking for that shipwreck. I found a non-wrecked ship, but it had no textures in the download, and I would have to wreck it myself. Could take some time...
Howgh!

PG

Yeah now that the sun's not shining on the join it's better.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Mahnmut

many interesting versions, I also liked the green line, realistic or not.
That last one is to colorless again in my opinion, even as little as ten meters below the surface everything turns blue. And the surface would have to be quite even to show a sun as clear and white as this.
Show us that we are on the bottom of a sea parted by the power of God!
Huge amounts of Water moved by incredible forces!
Best regards,
Jan

Mohawk20

Quote from: Mahnmut on February 22, 2009, 12:56:10 PM
many interesting versions, I also liked the green line, realistic or not.
That last one is to colorless again in my opinion, even as little as ten meters below the surface everything turns blue. And the surface would have to be quite even to show a sun as clear and white as this.
Show us that we are on the bottom of a sea parted by the power of God!
Huge amounts of Water moved by incredible forces!
Best regards,
Jan

You are right of course.
Problem is that the depth discolouration is handled by the decay distance settings, and those have to be high for the sky to show in any other colour than black.
I have to see if I can fix that by decreasing the size of the background object. That could actually work...
Howgh!

Mahnmut

"I have to see if I can fix that by decreasing the size of the background object. That could actually work..."

brilliant idea, I could try that for my icecliff too.
Thanks.
I don´t know how much you can twist with the volume density?

keep going,

best regards,

Jan

Mohawk20

Trying some decay distance settings and Volumetrics. As you can see, the green line is back, which is due to the still visible edge of the water plane.

It did lead me to an interesting conclusion about depth transparency in water shaded planes:
As long as you have an outside edge and an inside edge (also called double-sided on some objects), the sky is rendered through water no mater what settings. If you have only the outside edge (and thus a virtual endless body of water) the sky is rendered black unless the the decay distance is roughly the same size as the background object (default size: 2e+008). Any value above that will suffice.

So in this case I would have to increase the size of the water plane, or add the sides to the painted mask to displace them down as much as the 'canyon'.

I have to tweak the algae surface layer a lot more, and that ship is still out there somewhere....
Howgh!

Mahnmut

Maybe it is still not as realistic as you want it, but is getting more interesting anyway.
I can´t say a lot about transparent water, the rendertimes kill me.
I tried to make some transparent ice-kliffs, but it simply took to long on the pc that I got.
Keep going,
Best Regards,
Jan

Mohawk20

I have made some final tweaks and I will post the result as soon as the render finishes...
You will definitely like it, because it has both colour ánd realism. I love those volumetrics!
Howgh!

Mohawk20

And here it is, after a bit more than 30 hours rendering at 1 detail. But I see atmo samples have to go up in later renders.

A bigger lake object so the edge is no longer visible, which gets rid of the unnatural line. But less decay distance, and dense volumetrics means more green in the water, resulting in more realism (and emerald like edges in the distance).

I also decreased powerfractal roughness, so the seabed looks more blubbery.

Overall I'm pretty happy with how this last scene turned out.
Now for a ship and Moses  ;D
Howgh!

Mohawk20

Check out this test render below. I thought I'd try another POV, from a ship or boat on the water. That's just scary...

(I had to use Surface Blur to get rid of a lot of noise in the atmo, it was just a test render after all).
Howgh!

Seth

rcallicotte

I agree with Seth.  Better POV.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Mohawk20

Thanks guys, this is a fun experiment to do, and I'm happy you guys like it as well. I can always upload some files if you guys are interested, but I have to warn you, it's all very simple...  ;)

I just got the Poser Content Paradise newsletter, and they have this on sale: http://www.contentparadise.com/us/user/shepherd_clothing_set_for_g2_males_product_45421

Add a beard and it looks like Moses, so I think I'll buy the object set... great timing of them.
Howgh!

rcallicotte

Groovy.  Sheep herders.   ;D

Send us everything you got.  I'll eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?