Who's done that ?

Started by Seth, March 02, 2009, 07:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seth

http://www.planetside.co.uk/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=134&g2_serialNumber=1

I really would like to know who has done this render...
and if anybody has any idea of how it has been done...
really, i love this shot and i would like to reproduce something of the same kind...

Confusoid

That was a experimental Sub-Surface Scattering test done by Matt Fairclough back in 2004 using an earlier version of Terragen 2 Alpha. Sense Terragen lacks SSS i can't see something like this being reproducible. I have to wonder it he used multiple scattering SSS? 

sjefen

I wonder when we can see "sss" in Terragen 2 :P

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

RArcher

I did something sort of similar last February:

http://www.archer-designs.com/galleries/art-galleries/tg2/fullsize/the-brain-of-the-iceberg-brigade.jpg

I think what Matt did with the rocks should be easily duplicated.  Take a sphere, distort it, then add a default shader as its surface shader.  Feed a powerfractal into the colour function, translucency and luminosity nodes, and set your colours to be two shades of blue.  Increase the translucency to 20 or so and your luminosity to say 0.1.  Adjust reflectivity accordingly.  Here is a 5 minute test with file.

Confusoid

Quote from: sjefen on March 02, 2009, 07:57:41 PM
I wonder when we can see "sss" in Terragen 2 :P

- Terje

Who knows. After over three years it would be nice to see real SSS. The beauty of SSS is you get all that colored light scattering that is bouncing off of the inside ghaving both well lit sections and darker sections according to the objects density.

Matt

I'm afraid it's the difference between rendering something as an R&D project and actually turning it into something that people can use without complaining about massive render times ;) Unfortunately there have been too many other priorities and I was never able to turn this into a shader that I would let people use.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Confusoid

Oh darn and i was hoping for all of this.    ;D

Seth

thanks Ryan, I was doing the same thing you did ! (exactly the same way)
thanks for the quick answer Matt.

RArcher

Hmmm, seems I am fighting against the system  ;D  Hopefully this makes an appearance sometime in the future.  But for now, here is another test trying out a different method to try and simulate the same idea.

Mohawk20

What about using a water shader with low reflectivity and a powerfracal in the volume 1 input for internal scattering simulation?
Howgh!

sjefen

Quote from: Matt on March 03, 2009, 01:22:36 AM
I'm afraid it's the difference between rendering something as an R&D project and actually turning it into something that people can use without complaining about massive render times ;) Unfortunately there have been too many other priorities and I was never able to turn this into a shader that I would let people use.

Matt

But it will be available at some point, right?

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Seth

Quote from: Mohawk20 on March 03, 2009, 11:25:27 AM
What about using a water shader with low reflectivity and a powerfracal in the volume 1 input for internal scattering simulation?

i tried the water shader but didn't manage to do something good with it...

buzzzzz1

Quote from: Matt on March 03, 2009, 01:22:36 AM

Matt

Not trying to be a smart ass, but perhaps you should remove that sample image from the planetside gallery because it is misleading to prospective buyers who are not aware that TG isn't able to render (SSS) at this time. 
XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

Seth

mmmh buzzzzz is right...
I don't think it's a good idea to have a picture that we can't reproduce in the TG2 Gallery :s

RArcher

I'll have another update shortly, but I think it is very possible to obtain a similar result to the original image.