Your Top 5 Most Wanted Features

Started by RArcher, April 27, 2009, 10:58:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodpacker1

For me it would be:

* a way of storing rendered images in the render viewer (alla Houdini, Maya,....) so u can compare quick renders and changes quickly right there

* proper animation module (i.e. create animation paths straight in TG2 without needing to go through a third party app)

* fix render errors (i.e timelabs water motion still causes "black spots")

* YES wireframe preview so u can actually navigate through ur scene with a workable speed

* Fix CopyNPaste issues (sometimes - and only sometimes - copy/pasting nodes between scripts only works once a node is selected and by using "Edit->Copy/Paste")

Otherwise I'm still amazed by TG2 :)

reck

Quote from: rodpacker1 on April 27, 2009, 11:55:06 PM
For me it would be:

* a way of storing rendered images in the render viewer (alla Houdini, Maya,....) so u can compare quick renders and changes quickly right there

* proper animation module (i.e. create animation paths straight in TG2 without needing to go through a third party app)

* fix render errors (i.e timelabs water motion still causes "black spots")

* YES wireframe preview so u can actually navigate through ur scene with a workable speed

* Fix CopyNPaste issues (sometimes - and only sometimes - copy/pasting nodes between scripts only works once a node is selected and by using "Edit->Copy/Paste")

Otherwise I'm still amazed by TG2 :)

* Storing rendered images for comparison has been requested a few times in the past, it would be a nice thing to have. The render window could have a back/forward button so you can move between the different renders.

*Animation has taken a back seat so far but I believe that will be the focus along with 64bit support over the coming year.

*I've noticed a few black spots over the last couple of versions which i've never had before so a fix would be good.

*Yes everyone wants wireframe  ;D

*I've been running into the copy/paste bug a lot recently, I was going to make a post myself. It seems to work ok from the menus but ctrl+C and ctrl-V just don't seem to work sometimes.

FrankB

I don't know if discussion topics like that are having any effect, but it's still interesting to see what everyone else is looking for next. For me it would be different to from what I read from you guys...

* yes, the wireframes would be useful
* a cloud layer v4... I really want better light scattering and more control over cloud shapes
* more noise functions for the powerfractal
* macro support... I would like to be able to package complex networks into an easy to use dialog with custom sliders and such
* multiple objects per population

That's it.

Frank

PorcupineFloyd

I'd like to have populations working similar to shaders - with the kind of shader tree and child layers. This way it would be easier to set variations of only grass or similar trees but with different ages for example.

Wireframe would also be nice.

"Drop on terrain" for objects. We have it  for populations so why not for single instances.

Ability to close Terragen and resume render after next launch.

64 bit version for those large scale renders full of vegetation.

MF_Erwan

Quote from: Goms on April 27, 2009, 03:53:19 PM
Is this a Problem? There is a way to solve this, but i dont see why anyone should use such big heightfields....
Never heard about orbital views? ::)
And for now I haven't succeeded...

Erwan

mr-miley

*Wireframe (obviously)

*For people who are lazy like me, a throwback to the old TG09 "Shadow lightness" setting, when you realy can't be bothered to faff about with the GI and Enviro Light settings

*Child populations for mixing variations in populations

*Water that actually sits at the height that you stated in the water level box, please, please, please

*Most importantly of all... Button 9

And as Cyphyr said... Free Coffee and Fags.... in abundance  ;D

Miles
I love the smell of caffine in the morning

GioMez

Yeah!! Button 9 for everyone!
However here are my dreams! ::)

* SSS (materials such as marble could incredibly benefit from it)
* Transparency and reflections with caustics ( ;D I'm a really big dreamer, I know!)
* Xfrog plugin (and everything it could bring: unique variations, trees editor, a new populator with more parameters)
* Realtime navigation over the terrain (something like the terrain preview in the 0.9)
* Wireframe for objects

Goms

Quote from: elegac on April 28, 2009, 06:01:27 AM
Quote from: Goms on April 27, 2009, 03:53:19 PM
Is this a Problem? There is a way to solve this, but i dont see why anyone should use such big heightfields....
Never heard about orbital views? ::)
And for now I haven't succeeded...

Erwan
Right, but for this huge scales a power fractal is much better in my opinion.
However, you can convert the heightfield into a .tiff file and use the imagemap shader.
Heres an article about that: http://en.tgblog.de/?p=40
Quote from: FrankB
you're never going to finish this image ;-)

Seth

- SSS
- Better object preview
- Directional light
- More powerfractal flavour
- Possibilty to stop a render and get back to it later (Hey I know it's a dream...)

buzzzzz1

Quote from: Seth on April 28, 2009, 11:17:27 AM
- SSS
- Better object preview
- Directional light
- More powerfractal flavour
- Possibilty to stop a render and get back to it later (Hey I know it's a dream...)

DITTO!
XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

bertrand

Here are mine:

1. Camera/object animation paths
2. Better object handling (wireframe view, drop-on-floor, local/global axis, material tweaking and preview)
3. Better/more export/import options for lo-res terrain meshes, camera paths, etc. with ability to "talk" to a larger number of apps (would open up TG2 to the matte-painting market).
4. More sophisticated population handling system with proper pre-vizualisation.
5. Some presets for clouds, atmos, mats...

rcallicotte

1.  Great Animation Tools.
2.  Great Animation Tools.
3.  Great Animation Tools.
4.  Great Animation Tools.
5.  Great Animation Tools.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

PG

1. save render progress.
2. Wireframe for imported objects
3. Animation module
4. Subsurface scattering
5. Terrain carve tool in preview
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

dandelO

• Full greyscale opacity function for shaders
  • populations of internal sphere/planet/lightsources
  • Working rock object displacements
  • Wireframe objects
  • TG3

JimB

Linear animation curves (cloud movement doesn't ease in and out, and having to make and import linear .chans from other apps is actually a nutache).
Expanding the inputs of nodes so other nodes can drive features (e.g., a power fractal controlling the placement and intensity of warp).
Allowing image maps to drive the intensity of reflection on models.
Colour variation in populations, especially individual materials (i.e., foliage).
The choice of smoother waves in the Water Shader.

edit:
Is that 5? If not, here's another  ;)

When saving a scene, the render preview window is grabbed and saved as an icon image for the file itself. So, when you go to load a scene, you can have at least an idea of what the file is through a little piccy.

That's 5, isn't it?.......
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.