Go render something!

Started by FrankB, May 23, 2009, 05:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankB

Hi,

here is a not so serious question to you, but still...

it's a question which lingers in the back of my head for a long time, but today I feel lucky, so I am going to ask now.

There are quite a couple of people in this community, who spend a lot of time starting new threads, participating in all sorts of discussions, and comment images. Some have made a couple thousand posts, others just a few hundred, but they all have one thing in common: they never post a render. Or haven't in a very long time.

Here's my question: why?

If you feel you actually are one of those members, please... please (!) don't leave us others (who actually do post their renders) die unknowing and puzzled ;D

Cheers,
Frank

neuspadrin

I must admit I'm one such culprit. 

My problem was I was in school, and so the time it took to work on scenes to a quality I liked was very hard to get, but now that It's the summer expect a ramp up in images posted by me (afterall, already done like 2 since school stopped that are WIP), and also I've recently been taking time to document my knowledge I've learned to try to help others out a little as with the release of TG2 we have picked up quite a few new members with plenty of questions of where to start.

PG

Me too, well not the school part, haven't been there in a loong time. I just don't have the spare CPU time anymore. I'm looking to build a new high level workstation which will leave my current one for things like Terragen.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

tumasch

Well...where shall I start? ;D

Okay, I haven't posted that much here. I used to be very active in "good" old TG0.9 times (you can see some of my stuff over at dA: http://tumasch.deviantart.com) and rendered a few pictures with the TGTP but due to a very weak CPU - I have a Pentium 4 with 2GHz and 1GB of memory ;) - rendering with TG2 just isn't fun!! No chance of doing complex scenes, forever waiting for pre-renders/drafts, waiting, waiting...not funny, I can assure you. But the prospect of a new CPU with enough power kicked me into action again. Yet it will be two or three more weeks before I'm the proud owner of a Quad.

Looking forward to this, really! 8)
Décider c'est mourir un peu.

neuspadrin

Oh you will love the quad :) I'm on one now... they are so nice... Really wish i had an i7 though.

Oshyan

You probably didn't mean me, but I feel guilty of this as well. There are two issues for me. First is of course simply time. But second is simply the level of quality I feel I can achieve. Though I have made some images I do like and am proud of, still I always fall short of a certain epic quality and level of polish that the real masters achieve. While that is not reason enough not to produce new work, that with a lack of free time definitely lowers my motivation for creating new scenes. I have some plans to dive back in soon once the documentation is all polished up... :)

- Oshyan

Cyber-Angel

For me there is the question of what to call an image, one of the hardest things for me is coming up with any title at all for images I make, the second point is I am simply not prepared with TG2 to churn of images at a rate of knots like I did with 0.9.43 and many of those I have never posted any where on the internet just to artificially prop up the image post count. For me its a question weather a image done in a day, can be called art, though it is a subjective point of view I would say not or at least remind me of the art equivalent of a train wreak.

As a point of interest on my system I have to folders of Work In Progress images all at different stages of completion totaling twenty eight images in all, I will be conducting a review of the merits for and against keeping some of these if the quality is not there.

I would consider posting more work If TG2 was faster, but it isn't, I have had images that I've started to render in the afternoon and not had them complete until three the next morning; OK that not any kind of record others here have had 200+ hour render times (Thanks, but no thanks) but it is not conducive to me staying claim and keeping my stress levels down as I tend to annoy easily.  ;D

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel 

Seth

lovely thread  ;D
it sounds like an AA Meeting !

Mohawk20

Quote from: Seth on May 24, 2009, 06:17:42 AM
lovely thread  ;D
it sounds like an AA Meeting !

Whahaha!  :D :D

It's at least nice to see most of you are planning to go active again...
But don't go too fast, otherwise you'll be a lot better than us in no time and I don't think I can handle the competition... (jokning of course, the more competition, the better the results!)

I didn't post in a while because I had biblical render times, but a shorted fuse box fixed that for me, now I have some renders going that finish relatively quick (though 200 hours would still be relatively quick  :P).
Howgh!

rcallicotte

Frank, I don't show my renders for about 90% of the time - I don't like what I've done.  Other reasons include - I'm learning other software, I am busy taking care of my house, I'm working on the render for the NWDA contest and by the time I'm ready to take something to concept and finalization, I already have another idea (so I don't do a final render).
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

tumasch

Quote from: Mohawk20 on May 24, 2009, 06:52:03 AM
It's at least nice to see most of you are planning to go active again...
But don't go too fast, otherwise you'll be a lot better than us in no time and I don't think I can handle the competition... (jokning of course, the more competition, the better the results!)
Well, I wouldn't regard it as competition...I - if at all - only see other Terragenists as competition when it comes to contests. And forget about your worries, there's no way I "will be a lot better than you in no time". This is the TG forum with the best artists in the whole world, so to speak. My modest contributions wouldn't even dare stand up to or match those of the old hands here - I lost too much time at the beginnings of TG2... :) And I'm quite picky about my own work. It takes a lot for me to say "well, that's good now, I'll show it to others".
Décider c'est mourir un peu.

Seth

I don't like what I do 90% of time, and I never will be as good as Luc Bianco was even 1 year ago...
but you know sharing renders is very important too...
almost as important as posting advices and comments everywhere...
because it gives ideas to others, and when you comment an image, we can have an idea about your "artistic taste" :)
the "I am not good at it so I don't post" is not a good reason to me... otherwise, you won't play soccer, music, video-games, etc in front of others...
Think guys... this is a TG community... do you want to just be spectators ? ;D

@Oshyan : c'mon maaan, you did famous renders ! go ahead post some more please !

domdib

For me, mainly lack of time plus lack of available computing power, plus I'm still early in the learning curve, so I can't just throw a scene together quickly.

Seth

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?