Sub surface scattering again...

Started by Hannes, November 26, 2014, 06:42:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Quote from: Matt on December 04, 2014, 08:47:23 pm
Quote from: TheBadger on December 04, 2014, 01:08:21 am
Perhaps this is a pointless question, but is there a word that describes the effect that we are after here in the real world? I mean, the fact that you can hold a flash light against your hand and see light through your skin, what is this called in non CG real world terms?.. I was thinking that people who study jelly fish would have a word..?


I would call it 'translucency' when talking to non-CG people.

Matt



yup...that's the word...be nice if we could do this straight from the translucency slider but if wishes were horses.....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Matt

Quote from: Hannes on December 04, 2014, 08:23:28 am
It's interesting that the "inner head" can be made invisible and even set to not casting shadows (!) for keeping the object from poking through accidentally, and still does his job. Sounds illogically, but as long as it works...


This works because the inner object only needs to block GI so that the GI cache doesn't receive light from the other side of the object. The inner object only needs to be visible to "other rays" to affect/block the GI.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Matt on December 04, 2014, 08:53:15 pm
Quote from: Hannes on December 04, 2014, 08:23:28 am
It's interesting that the "inner head" can be made invisible and even set to not casting shadows (!) for keeping the object from poking through accidentally, and still does his job. Sounds illogically, but as long as it works...


This works because the inner object only needs to block GI so that the GI cache doesn't receive light from the other side of the object. The inner object only needs to be visible to "other rays" to affect/block the GI.

Matt



Ah ha...a learning moment for me.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Hannes


Dune

QuoteThis works because the inner object only needs to block GI so that the GI cache doesn't receive light from the other side of the object. The inner object only needs to be visible to "other rays" to affect/block the GI.

Would that mean that we possibly might get the foam on the other side of a wave visible (block GI locally) by adding an extra lake/plane with these 'visible to other rays only' settings? Perhaps reversed... just letting my mind grind. I did notice that setting the glass shader to 2-sided gave some unexpected results in water as seen from above.

By the way, Hannes, that head looks really good now!

Hannes

Thanks Ulco! I'm rendering another 200 frames table top animation with this head at the moment with higher quality settings (Detail 0.8, AA 9, 675 X 900 px).
And I'm looking forward to your water efforts. I know you can't resist to do that! ;D ;D ;D

Kadri


Nice tests.Curious about the high quality one Hannes.

j meyer

Hannes,what do you mean by make the model invisble?
Unchecking enable or setting the opacity to zero does not
work like you described.
Did you set it to invisible on the drop down menu?

bobbystahr

December 05, 2014, 11:01:37 am #113 Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 01:37:14 pm by bobbystahr
Quote from: j meyer on December 05, 2014, 10:58:37 am
Hannes,what do you mean by make the model invisble?
Unchecking enable or setting the opacity to zero does not
work like you described.
Did you set it to invisible on the drop down menu?


In the objects dialogue properties unclick visible to camera?

*edited thanks to Hannes post correcting my terminology*  ;)
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Hannes

In the object's properties, where you can check cast shadows, double sided and so on, there's a (Render-) button where you can choose if the object is visible, invisible or rendered as holdout.

j meyer

Thanks for the clarification.
That's the one I didn't try.Only used that when I was testing
render layers some time ago.

TheBadger

It may also help you guys if you give the model a more real skin color. The very orange color may be hurting the effect causing any flaw to be stronger.
It has been eaten.

bobbystahr

Quote from: TheBadger on December 05, 2014, 01:18:55 pm
It may also help you guys if you give the model a more real skin color. The very orange color may be hurting the effect causing any flaw to be stronger.


That's the default colour map the model comes with, and the task is to achieve realism in TG3 with them in the main is the way I see this thread.....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Hannes

At least on my monitors the skin doesn't look too orange. What do the others say? If so, it shouldn't be too difficult to tune the diffuse color image.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hannes on December 05, 2014, 03:50:16 pm
At least on my monitors the skin doesn't look too orange. What do the others say? If so, it shouldn't be too difficult to tune the diffuse color image.


looks quite normal on mine; but then again I'm actually colour blind so don't take my word for it
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist