Terragen 4

Started by Kadri, December 11, 2015, 01:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Quote from: Dune on January 07, 2016, 02:40:33 AM
Quotehow many Power fractals have to be used say one needed a dozen colors
If you multiply or mix 2-3 extreme colors (either end of spectrum), you can get quite a wide mix. And if adding a blue node (adjust saturation) you can get greyer varieties too.

I've discovered the joy of merging colours too. Difference mode on the Merge Shader makes for some interesting detail colouring too.

AP

Quote from: Dune on January 07, 2016, 02:40:33 AM
Quotehow many Power fractals have to be used say one needed a dozen colors
If you multiply or mix 2-3 extreme colors (either end of spectrum), you can get quite a wide mix. And if adding a blue node (adjust saturation) you can get greyer varieties too.

I suppose i could try that. I just like to avoid the blue nodes for what could be a one node only solution and have an easy more sensible way of doing tasks but anything is better then nothing.

fleetwood

The adjust saturation is certainly a blue node, but it might as well be a red one. It is simpler to use for example, than the red node color adjust. Extremely easy to feed the adjust saturation with a power fractal for variations in color intensity.

AP

The Ozone Factor looks impressive. Quite an improvement in the realism of atmospherics.

Kadri

New video. 
Ray-traced Realtime Preview – Part 2

http://terragen4.com/ray-traced-realtime-preview-part-2/

What are the machine specs Oshyan?

Nice to see that you incorporated the crop rendering in the preview window :)

Oshyan

It's a dual Xeon 8 core/16 threads per CPU, so 16 cores total, 32 total threads. In the demo it has been limited to 28 threads  to maintain overall system responsiveness (Terragen can be a hungry beast :D). So of course on this awesome machine it runs great, but it will still run really well even on lesser single CPU systems, standard i7's, etc. I posted a comparative example of other aspects of the ray-traced preview running on my i7 back when the original video was posted. Here's that video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBx1YuTORk0

- Oshyan

mhall

Kadri beat me to it on both counts - love the look of crop rendering in the preview window and ... I saw the thread count in the video and that machine is a beast. :)

Kadri

By the way Oshyan not sure if it was asked here before but how much WYSIWYG is the preview window?
I mean the preview render is software based now so can i assume that there is mostly only a resolution difference from the final render?

Oshyan

The ray-traced preview is quite close to the final render now, although of course at lower detail and higher noise (depending on settings and the time you allow it to refine). We'll have some settings for turning off things like "true lighting/GI" to allow you to get faster response in exchange for lower accuracy. Sometimes (like in animation previewing) you just want super-fast response, and sometimes accuracy is more important, so those options will be useful. But if you want the preview to look really close to the final render it can.

- Oshyan

archonforest

I checked couple of days ago the upgrade price from Creative 3 to 4 but found nothing. When this data will be public?
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

AP

It is nice to see the Ozone factor in some more action but the Raytracer is just fantastic. Is that a UI change or just some custom Windows theme?

Matt

Quote from: Chris on February 12, 2016, 04:44:26 PM
Is that a UI change or just some custom Windows theme?

In the video it's just a custom Windows theme. But we are considering adding an optional dark UI in Terragen 4, and this gives us a chance to see how that might look.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Kadri

Quote from: Matt on February 12, 2016, 07:59:17 PM
Quote from: Chris on February 12, 2016, 04:44:26 PM
Is that a UI change or just some custom Windows theme?
In the video it's just a custom Windows theme. But we are considering adding an optional dark UI in Terragen 4, and this gives us a chance to see how that might look.
Matt

I prefer dark UI's.