Terragen 2 Release Announcement Discussion

Started by Oshyan, December 12, 2007, 07:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

I'd like to apologize to everyone sincerely for not responding sooner to the recent flood of posts.

I took a few days this past week to move to a new apartment in San Francisco from my long-time home in Santa Rosa and have been living in a house full of every kind of disarray imaginable, waiting on an Internet connection and time to setup my computers. Last I saw, Matt was discussing in team email an update to this thread, and since he knows best what is going on and his direct communication is the best source for all of you, I figured it would be taken care of and felt comfortable being "offline" for a few days.
I think Jo's response here, while perhaps "unofficial", is really the best and most frank assessment of the situation that is possible and I'm glad that he stepped in and spoke candidly. I would like to respond to more of this thread but I really think it's best if Matt does so at this point.

One thing is certain: I don't blame any of you for your frustration, most particularly those who have pre-purchased. I can't do anything to resolve the coding difficulties that are at the root of this, but I will do my best - for what it's worth - to make possible some kind of Thank You, a special reward, to the pre-purchasers for their patience and support. We certainly owe you all that much.

- Oshyan

Mohawk20

Thanx Oshyan...

I can imagine it's hard for you too, after all the moving and troubles and unpacking, to come back to this thread being 30 pages longer.
We all know you mean well and try hard.

Still, some kind of special thank you is allways nice  ;) ;D

What are you thinking of? Special plants that you made yourself?  :P
Howgh!

SilverCity

I already invested $99.00 for version 0.9 and am on the fence about whether or not to go forward and spend another $100.00-$200.00 to pre-purchase TG2. Anyone here actually regret plunking down their money for TG2, or are you just disappointed in the delay in the release date?

If implementing multi-threading is the main roadblock, has there been any thought in releasing a build with all the other new features/fixes included and holding off on multi-threading until it's been perfected?

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Mohawk20 on April 18, 2008, 03:22:25 AM
Thanx Oshyan...

I can imagine it's hard for you too, after all the moving and troubles and unpacking, to come back to this thread being 30 pages longer.
We all know you mean well and try hard.

Still, some kind of special thank you is allways nice  ;) ;D

What are you thinking of? Special plants that you made yourself?  :P

Or a bunch of awesome tgd's ;D

Quote from: SilverCity on April 18, 2008, 04:24:31 AM
I already invested $99.00 for version 0.9 and am on the fence about whether or not to go forward and spend another $100.00-$200.00 to pre-purchase TG2. Anyone here actually regret plunking down their money for TG2, or are you just disappointed in the delay in the release date?

If implementing multi-threading is the main roadblock, has there been any thought in releasing a build with all the other new features/fixes included and holding off on multi-threading until it's been perfected?

No I certainly do not regret I've pre-purchased it a while ago. The extra's coming along with it like unlimited render size, render quality and populations (as far as your system can go of course) are well worth it to me.
The long long waiting for the final release is indeed very disappointing and maybe some people will make them feel they regret pre-purchasing it but I don't. The current features keep me going, though like everyone I'm really looking forward to things like transparency and especially multithreading.

I think that releasing a build with all the features except multithreading is not possible. Two reasons, first because such a build probably doesn't exist and would take a lot of time to build and secondly because as far as I know (!) the multi-threaded build is close to beta-release and thus stepping onto another road wouldn't make sense. I feel they're close to finishing it, so releasing another build wouldn't make sense to me.
Of course these are just feelings/thoughts, only one who can be definitive about this is Matt himself of course.

Martin

reck

Hi SilverCity, for me i've not regretted one bit paying for the TG2, it's an amazing bit of software. Of course I am disappointed with the delay but surely the end is near, then we can start thinking about TG3!  ;D

Mohawk20

Anyone here actually regret plunking down their money for TG2, or are you just disappointed in the delay in the release date?

Neither, but I'm just very positive minded, can't do anything about that.

I bought Deep+Animation, and I'm very happy with it so far. Sure there are some things that make it crash, but for the most part I'm still learning, a lot! So I can easily fill the waiting time with trying and rendering. I've an animation rendering of 1920 frames, it's at frame 347 now. A few more of those and the new update is realeased.

Compared to all the other applications, TG2 is far out the most realistic, and so it's the only software I actually payd for, because it's the one I use the most.

I am used to the delays, so the only time I get my hopes up is when there's actually something to download... that really helps easing my state of mind.
Howgh!

rcallicotte

It's worth it.  Go for the big guns - the Animated Deep Version.

There are so many files here and so many helpful tutorials and so many helpful people, you'll get plenty of use out of TG2 even before the Beta comes out.  It's worth it.

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

rmfrase

I have no regrets.  Eager anticipation nail-biting... yes.   

But those who have never written computer programs cannot imagine the emmense complexity involved, or understand that if you fix one bug that something else (or more) may be effected in a negative fashion.

rcallicotte

I've been a blockhead.  Sorry.  I just read this (which nikita already posted) - http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=2942.msg34609#msg34609

This must be harder than any of us thought.

Sorry, nikita.

Cyber-Angel

I brought me Deep + Animation License the day after it was announced that licenses where available, I suspected way back in the early days on the Yahoo Group well before the first version of the Tech Preview was released that there would be delays in getting the final version released; my assertions have played out that way.

I understand that the delays there have been complex in nature, however hasn't progressed to the point to where peoples sympathy for what's going on has almost ran out or in some case did along time ago?

My feelings are this, the more time a product stays in the development stage the higher the expectations become for the functionality of the final shipping product; also with increased time to market there is the expectation of high level documentation and product support, but also sufficient life cycles between intermittent up dates to allow for deployment testing, staff training and product use in its designated market segment.

Price point is vital to the way the product is seen in terms of its attractiveness to the market for the intended market segment of the product, product price point structure must be fair and yet competitive within the market space, be enough to recover development costs and provide revenue streams large enough for expansion and growth.

Development of any kind across time zones must be difficult, with key personnel not located in the same building you are not afforded opportunities for a sit down with some one to hammer out problems as they arise; thus increasing the likelihood of increased time to market "The Airbus A-380 is a case in point, due to Airbus Subcontractors having a different version of the design software from the German Subcontractors key electrical connectors didn't fit together, causing a four month delay in the delivery".

"Time is money" so the old chestnut goes, that is true, but what is also true in the software industry is that things happen fast meaning that if you move to slow then people are going to find away to pass you in the software equivalent of the Arms Race; there is another school of thought that says that if you move to quickly that is as bad if not worse then moving to slowly, so you are stuck between a rock and a hard place it is in the end about finding balance.

I do look forward to the Beta and the Gold release, but am not champing at the bit as it where, what ever comes it might not be what I expected but at least I will have it to learn and use the best I can and if there is some thing that I don't understand to quote Detective Inspector, Jack Frost [A Touch of Frost] "I'll ask a lot of silly questions, and hopefully get a lot not so silly answers".

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel  ;D     

nikita

Quote from: calico on April 18, 2008, 09:08:21 AM
I've been a blockhead.  Sorry.  I just read this (which nikita already posted) - http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=2942.msg34609#msg34609

This must be harder than any of us thought.

Sorry, nikita.
No problem.. we all make mistakes  ;D

otakar

You might want to update the year on this page:

http://planetside.co.uk/terragen/tg2/prepurchase_tg2.shtml

I'd also suggest hiring a backup person to handle the website/PR/customer service. The image of the week has remained the same for how long? I know it's a grand image, but ...

I am actually amazed what this small team has accomplished so far. I wonder how many resources stand behind competing products in the same class. I would not be surprised if there were a huge scale difference across the board. And, as has been suggested, they all experience delays or roll out products full of bugs. What we have to work with is an outstanding tool. It's going to get even better.

Seth

Quote from: otakar on April 18, 2008, 01:16:49 PM
The image of the week has remained the same for how long? I know it's a grand image, but ...

one month ! lol ^^'

rcallicotte

And now for our ongoing image of the week - http://www.planetside.co.uk/gallery/f/tg2/buissons_optimized.jpg.html

Congrats, Seth.  The longest someone has kept the title without going to the next competitor...uh, fellow TG2er.  Brilliant.   :D

Seth