A Brand New Day! --> 2400x1600 update

Started by Tangled-Universe, June 14, 2008, 12:24:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

monks

Super lovely! I agree with Osh about the mountains, they don't look sharp enough- maybe need more frost action imo. Otherwise amazing!

monks

ramsesoriginal

Really great and realistic imgae.. i for my part find the mountains in the background quite realistic (middle-italian apennin mountains look like that, or some low mountains in the alps)... what i found a bit repetitive are the stones disseminated in the grass right in the bottom right corner.. they seem.. odd.. i can't explain it very well sorry :(

Mr_Lamppost

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on June 15, 2008, 08:56:47 am
Quote from: Mr_Lamppost on June 15, 2008, 08:34:32 am
Shame about the dropped bucket, at the bottom lust to the left of centre.


Oh darn :s...I made 7 additional renders to replace bucket-errors :( and missed this one, but thanks for noticing :)

Please solve this problem guys, it's really annoying and costs lots of extra time to solve.
Re-rendering parts costs time and sometimes the GI doesn't match so you'll have to match it in photoshop or in the worst case render it again :(


I know how you feel; those dropped buckets are a bummer.  ;D >:( ;D
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: ramsesoriginal on June 15, 2008, 03:29:42 pm
Really great and realistic imgae.. i for my part find the mountains in the background quite realistic (middle-italian apennin mountains look like that, or some low mountains in the alps)... what i found a bit repetitive are the stones disseminated in the grass right in the bottom right corner.. they seem.. odd.. i can't explain it very well sorry :(


Thanks for your comment :)

I agree about the repetitiveness of the disseminated stones...that's because the displacement scales are quite small with low octaves and a slightly lowered offset with higher contrast.
Resulting in sharply localized displacements which can tend to be repetitive.
I also don't find the mountains too bad, not that I'm entirely happy with it,... I've been trying to fiddle with it but I'm a bit out of inspiration with this work. I'll see what I can do about it.


Blonderator

Wow... my jaw dropped.

This is a great image - I think the mountains are fine, personally.


Really awesome. Keep it up. This is definitely IOTW material.


Tangled-Universe

Thanks so far guys, a new version with improved background-mountains  will be posted soon :)

Oshyan

T-U, don't forget to read your PM's. ;)

- Oshyan

Tangled-Universe

Done, thanks :)

By the way, for everyone, a couple of days ago I already posted this version at CGSociety over here:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=132&t=646779

Seems like people start to get interest/to like TG it  ;D

MacGyver

I really can't wait for your new version as it is going to be my new desktop image ;) . Can you explain how you did split renders and if they're possible in the free version? This would be really great for me, because I can use only one cpu-core and the render I completed tonight took 27 hours at 512x320 px (image doesn't look special though, I haven't worked into TG2 yet :-X).
What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: MacGyver on June 29, 2008, 04:55:39 am
I really can't wait for your new version as it is going to be my new desktop image ;) . Can you explain how you did split renders and if they're possible in the free version? This would be really great for me, because I can use only one cpu-core and the render I completed tonight took 27 hours at 512x320 px (image doesn't look special though, I haven't worked into TG2 yet :-X).


27 hours for such a small image? You definitely have to check your rendersettings i.e. GI surface details (almost never necessary) and raytraced shadows in atmosphere/clouds.
Both settings add tremendous amounts of rendertime and are probably not needed.

Creating split renders is easy:

1) Set up your scene, rendersize and quality. Save your tgd.

2) Open another instance of the programm and load your tgd in there as well.
Go to your task manager (rmb on taskbar or CTRL+ALT+DEL) and go to the processes tab. Sort by "Image name" and you'll find tgd.exe 2x.
Right-click on the first process and choose "set affinity". In case of a dualcore you'll see CPU 0 and CPU 1. Assign each instance of the programm to a different single core.

2) In each instance go to the tab "crop region" and check "do crop region".
For the first instance set crop left to 0, crop right to 0.55, crop bottom to 0 and crop top to 1.
For the second instance set crop left to 0.45, crop right to 1, crop bottom to 0 and crop top to 1.

3) Both instances do now have a different core assigned and also render different regions of the image. Render the image!

4) As you'll notice there's an overlap in the regions and this is needed because in the free TP2 version of TG2 differences in GI can occur.
Loading the files into Photoshop for example will enable you to blend the overlapping pieces to a whole.

That's it, good luck and if you have questions just ask again :)

Martin

MacGyver

June 29, 2008, 06:25:14 am #26 Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 06:27:11 am by MacGyver
Wow, big fat thank you! :)
Now it's time for MULTI-THREADING  ;D ;D ;D

PS: Yes indeed, I had raytraced shadows and shadows in atmosphere turned on for every of the 4 lightsources and as I'm seeing now the render doesn't look any different, except the clouds are brighter ;)
What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: MacGyver on June 29, 2008, 06:25:14 am
Wow, big fat thank you! :)
Now it's time for MULTI-THREADING  ;D ;D ;D

PS: Yes indeed, I had raytraced shadows and shadows in atmosphere turned on for every of the 4 lightsources and as I'm seeing now the render doesn't look any different, except the clouds are brighter ;)


You're welcome :)

Keep in mind that you ONLY need raytraced atmosphere switched on if the terrain casts shadows on your clouds. Else it is NOT needed.
In the main rendersettings tab there's also a setting for raytraced shadows and if you render a terrain you will always need this to be switched on, except when you're rendering a clouds-only image but that doesn't differ in speed anyway.

buzzzzz1

Very Very Nice Creation Martin! I'm surprised this didn't make IOW? or did it?
XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

efflux

The vegetation fits great but I guess that's the high render settings. The foreground is exceptionally good. Maybe too many dead trees and I suspect you could have set up a more interesting composition but this is really good!