A Brand New Day! --> 2400x1600 update

Started by Tangled-Universe, June 14, 2008, 12:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Volker Harun

This is stunning ...
guess I need some time to learn new stuff :-)

MacGyver

What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Volker Harun on July 18, 2008, 02:49:03 PM
This is stunning ...
guess I need some time to learn new stuff :-)

Thanks Volker :)

Quote from: MacGyver on July 20, 2008, 02:19:30 PM
Still rendering? ;) ;D

Yes still rendering :)
I think it is finished for 90% now...still some parts of the grass has to be rendered and that takes up about 70% of the total rendertime, so I think I will have this finished about wednesday if I don't run into troubles in the meantime ;D

MacGyver

Impressive... please post how many hours it took, I guess well above 100? :o
You should call your new resolution "one size fits all" ;D

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: MacGyver on July 21, 2008, 06:44:23 AM
Impressive... please post how many hours it took, I guess well above 100? :o
You should call your new resolution "one size fits all" ;D

Oh yes for sure it's one size fits all :) lol
I'm never going to do this again anymore ;D
In total it already took about 150 hours of rendering and it's not even finished yet ;)

MacGyver

You perhaps already said this before but my memory is failing me... you render on a quadcore machine? Do you use the multicore capabilities of the new Terragen-Build or are you rendering the image partially by using the Windows Task Manager (like you explained to me, thx again!)?

As you are rendering the image that big, I perhaps take the awesome tree in the foreground as a fullscreen desktop background ;)
Right now, I still have my invidious Joker staring at me (image from my last thread) but perhaps there will come a time when he chases me in my dreams :o then I will switch to something nicer :D

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: MacGyver on July 21, 2008, 12:48:00 PM
You perhaps already said this before but my memory is failing me... you render on a quadcore machine? Do you use the multicore capabilities of the new Terragen-Build or are you rendering the image partially by using the Windows Task Manager (like you explained to me, thx again!)?

As you are rendering the image that big, I perhaps take the awesome tree in the foreground as a fullscreen desktop background ;)
Right now, I still have my invidious Joker staring at me (image from my last thread) but perhaps there will come a time when he chases me in my dreams :o then I will switch to something nicer :D

Haha lol :) Well great to hear you're going to use the tree as your background ;D

I render in two instances, both with 2 cores assigned. Each instance uses up to 2.3 GB of RAM now at the moment when I'm only rendering the grasses.

The last bits and pieces are rendering now, it is 99% finished.

Tangled-Universe

99,9% finished...but now there's one freaky annoying problem...the right foreground flower only renders partially  ???
I've re-rendered a crop of that part for 6 or 7 times but it still doesn't complete the flower. The upper part is cut off....grrrr :(  :'(
The renderer also keeps spitting population counter errors...

Anybody an idea?

PG

Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Tangled-Universe

Not yet, because I started rendering 1,5 week ago in TP4...

edit: also confirmed with TP5

Oshyan

You may try adjusting cache sizes (up or down ;D). What version of Windows are you on?

- Oshyan

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Oshyan on July 23, 2008, 01:40:35 AM
You may try adjusting cache sizes (up or down ;D). What version of Windows are you on?

- Oshyan

I've tried 800, 1024, 1200 and 2048 MB. I probably might try lower values?
I'm using XP64-bit and have 8G RAM.

Martin

Oshyan

You can try smaller, but if it's a memory issue I would think the larger cache would help. Cache adjustments may still have an effect - it's worth trying anyway.

- Oshyan

Tangled-Universe

Even bigger than 2048 MB??
Increasing this setting didn't increase my ram usage that much. Rendering the crop 'just' takes 980 MB while rendering a 6th or quarter of the image uses up to 2.4 gigs of ram...

Tangled-Universe

Hi Matt/Oshyan,

I've tried everything I could think of:

I'm rendering it with 4 cores and tried subdiv cache at 200, 300, 400, 800, 1024, 1200, 2048 and 2560 MB. Higher wasn't possible.
I also tried increasing the AA level to get smaller buckets to be rendered.

All did not work :'(

What's next to try?
Thanks in advance.

Martin