Your Top 5 Most Wanted Features

Started by RArcher, April 27, 2009, 10:58:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldfarb

a method to return a parameter to it's default would be nice...
--
Michael Goldfarb | Senior Technical Director | SideFX | Toronto | Canada

cyphyr

Quote from: goldfarb on August 01, 2009, 03:12:16 PM
a method to return a parameter to it's default would be nice...
Memory buttons, like bryce/poser (I didn't say that ...;o)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Nico3333fr

64 bits version, and the animation module of course !  :D
Still in love with Terragen animations : http://www.youtube.com/user/Nico3333fr :)

kevnar

Did anyone mention collision detection? When flying the camera around, would be nice if it stops when it hits the ground, or an instanced object.

goldfarb

Quote from: kevnar on August 02, 2009, 01:05:01 PM
Did anyone mention collision detection? When flying the camera around, would be nice if it stops when it hits the ground, or an instanced object.

a much simpiler feature would be to set altitude limits on the camera...but you'll end up with very choppy camera movement.
--
Michael Goldfarb | Senior Technical Director | SideFX | Toronto | Canada

efflux

Here are mine. At least what I presently think are my top priorities. I haven't read through all this thread so I don't know what other people have suggested:

Linux version. This is always my top priority. Even a Linux renderer but I guess this wish may be a long way off.

Navigation that works on longitude, latitude and altitude. It seems to me that this makes obvious sense in an app that is actually creating an entire planet. X,Y and Z become meaningless once you start moving around. In fact I largely ignore those read outs. The measuring tool comes in handy though.

Colour gradient. These provide extremely rich ways of getting colours for procedural landscaping. I did hack one together and I think there is a file on the forum somewhere but it is a work around.

Voronoi basis fractal. Next to Perlin this is the most useful fractal for landscape work. Convolution would also be cool for craters and towers.

Curve graph. Another important feature that is in other landscape apps to sculpt the functions.

efflux

I'm going to add another:

A new colour picker to replace the dire Windows one.

CCC

A color gradient similar to Photoshops would do well. Also the ability to select colors imported from an image and the creation of color swatches. Swatches would be helpful say a user needed a selection of colors that represented a particular terrain or climate.

The color picker should have preset samples based off of real earth colors to have a good start. X-Frog has something similar for plant colors.

N810

Sounds like the old 0.9 color picker...  ;)
Hmmm... wonder what this button does....

efflux

Quote from: CCC on August 04, 2009, 12:45:18 AM
Also the ability to select colors imported from an image and the creation of color swatches. Swatches would be helpful say a user needed a selection of colors that represented a particular terrain or climate.

The color picker should have preset samples based off of real earth colors to have a good start. X-Frog has something similar for plant colors.

Tell me about this. So few apps have this capability. It is especially obvious with landscape apps to be able to easily select colours from images and build up swatches.

efflux

Of course if operating systems (especially Windows) had anything like decent design then we would use their colour applets to do all this work and between different apps as well.

efflux

Here is the colour picker from 3D coat. It's not even the latest 3D Coat which is a now a volumetric sculpting app. There are two basic pickers here due to this being a kind of in flux version of 3D Coat but I can't be bothered doing a new screen capture. This picker does everything you want - even bringing an image in to pick from. Then of course you have the swatches. Even apps like ZBrush do not have all this capability. Ludicrous since they are essentially "painting apps".

CCC

Also having a gradient dialog very much like that of photoshops would be nice. Imagine creating complex color combinations for terrains and being able to save custom gradients as well.

Naoo

Hi

1. Crop-Render whitout clear Screen
2. 2 or more Renderbuffers (like Blender)
3. One Renderslider to downscale the Quality for realy quick-Renders
4. Remember TG-Windows Positions
5. Wave-Surfes at the Beach

ciao
Naoo

buzzzzz1

Not sure if this has been requested, so please excuse me if it has? 

Would it be possible to have a "Crop Area Tool" that could be set to "Free Transform" ?  Many times We re-render select areas of Our Scene, and many times it's an area that is diagonal across the Scene. With the square/rectangle that We have now, We are forced to render areas that We really don't want to re-rendered. This would save wasted render time and energy.  Hope I'm explaining this clearly?
XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS