NWDA image contest - The WINNERS

Started by FrankB, May 12, 2009, 05:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

domdib

littlecannon

domdib... "And thank you for saying the images that have been posted so far are no good?"

Don't twist my words, I did not say that, if I had you could have quoted me within context. All the images submitted so far are of a very high standard, which has nothing to do with jpeg quality. I asked this simple question to NWDA. I am not asking to be judged on the good quality image, just that they might want to see it. An image with a lot of detail will be larger in file size than one without. Sorry to offend you.

I have had a lot of fun working my entry for this competition and have learnt a lot too, If another competition runs, I'll be sure not to ask any questions.
Thanks, Simon.
I just need to tweak that texture a bit more...

domdib

I'm sorry littlecannon, but I don't understand your comment. I was agreeing with njeneb, not anyone else.  ???

Tangled-Universe

Please, please, please...again...easy guys.
You're all falling over each other because of a grain of sand.
I'll repeat again: there's nothing changed, there'll be a talk, stay tuned.

Now go back and play with TG2 :)

Cheers,
Martin

buzzzzz1

Martin,

First let me say I directed my frustration at the wrong person "littlecannon" and I'm sorry for that.

The problem is that you un-leveled the playing field when you told him to go ahead and send the larger image. I only rendered my submission 1680 and down sized it to meet the rules as did others. It might not be a big deal to you but it may be to others and you should have taken that into consideration before hand.  I'm sending you a IM with the rest of the story.

XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: buzzzzz1 on July 03, 2009, 09:29:21 AM
Martin,

First let me say I directed my frustration at the wrong person "littlecannon" and I'm sorry for that.

The problem is that you un-leveled the playing field when you told him to go ahead and send the larger image. I only rendered my submission 1680 and down sized it to meet the rules as did others. It might not be a big deal to you but it may be to others and you should have taken that into consideration before hand.  I'm sending you a IM with the rest of the story.

Yes I told that, nothing less nothing more. It's your interpretation that I un-level things. I have clearly said x times nothing has changed, decided or promised. He could just send it, that's all. I'm getting a bit tired of this!
I read your IM and I consider it unsent until things have cleared up, perhaps your temper as well :)

Martin

FrankB

In an attempt to listen to the contestants wishes, and trying to find an optimal solution to the 250k "problem", Martin was merely discussing possibilities. I think that is totally fine. It is also totally fine for Jay to poke his infamous finger at the subsequent problem this could create. Here's my decision:

1 - we leave all rules as they are. If 250k is problematic, downsize the render to make it fit.
2 - I realize 250k is not optimal, so IF we ever run such a contest again, we'll allow for more.

Lastly let me say in the name of the whole team that we are truly excited to see you guys take part, be engaged and passionate about our little contest. Your results are great - keep them coming! :)

kind regards,
Frank

buzzzzz1

Damn! Infamous Finger, I'll have to have it Bronzed.  :D
XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

Henry Blewer

I hope you run another contest. This tread has been a little rough, but I think we could all sit down together and drink too much beer without any problems. This contest has caused me to learn a lot about this program. I'm sure others have also stretched their limits to produce the finest images they are able.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Thelby

Quote from: buzzzzz1 on July 03, 2009, 07:41:20 PM

If you do then we will call it: "Flying Fickle Finger of Fate Award:D :D :D

FrankB

Quote from: Thelby on July 03, 2009, 07:59:07 PM
Quote from: buzzzzz1 on July 03, 2009, 07:41:20 PM

If you do then we will call it: "Flying Fickle Finger of Fate Award:D :D :D

That sounds like a cool contest name, too. Let me take a note of that..... ;)

littlecannon

All sorted then ;D... no probs Jay.
I just need to tweak that texture a bit more...

arisdemos

With something like nine days to go in the contest, I now read the latest input on this thread and realize that the image I am preparing for this event is not going to be properly viewed because of a less than fully functional size criteria/rule. I should have considered the  limits on size as a problem initially, but My mind was on what I would be producing and not on how the viewing would be problematic. The playing field is indeed level in this contest, but it is just not my sort of game. My only option at this stage is to enter on the Terragen Forum my proposed WIP image that states, why?, it will regretably not be put up for NWDA competition.  There I will at least be able to show what I have done in my month long effort to work together with my tg2 peers on a common goal, and also possibly gain some type of public venue for the detail intensive tg2 scene I have created.

I like the idea of working in a competition environment, but why should I set the higher detailed image quality of my pic in comparison to the possibly lesser detail requirement images of certain others that would be totally to the detriment of my own pictorial quality achievements. Better luck next time is all I can say for myself and maybe for certain others who have shown interest/involvement in this competition.

Henry Blewer

Don't give up so easily. A good image editor can optimize a jpeg so it will still look good. Sometimes, all it takes is a reduction of color. Most of the time a 24 or 32 bit image looks just as well as an 12 bit or even an 8 bit. Photoshop, or Corel Paint X2 are good for this. The GIMP, which is freeware under GNU, does well also.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T