Digitial Domain and Student Tuition

Started by rcallicotte, March 29, 2012, 11:17:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

I think you misunderstand us Kadri. We are mostly talking about ideals, not reality. How things and people should be.

For example, You sound like you support unions. Well it may surprise you, but so do I. But I find  it hard to swallow, that in order to be in a union I MUST as a member give money to the union, who then gives it to a political party that actively works to undermine the things I believe in.  They do not give members a choice as to what the union bosses do with the money.

So Kadri, what am I to do then. Join a union and maybe get better pay, at the expense of my principals and beliefs. Or stand on my principals and be poor? You tell me.
Personally I don't think its a fair choice.

Ideally, unions should not be joined at the hip with any political party. If they were not attached to politics I appose then I could support the unions.
It has been eaten.

Kadri

Yes it is complicated of course but i can not separate unions , economy ,politics from each other .
Nothing of these are an island of itself.

I am in a union that have some actions i can not believe and not approve. What should i do?
Other unions do not represent my world view at all! Should i go without a union? No this doesn't help.

Some times we have to choose . It may not be ideal , but what is?

The topic is very clear to me. This is a classic example ripping off the students , taxpayer etc.

AP

Well, there are Unions that have no connections to Politics as well. Not all Unions are inherently bad. Just a good portion of them. There was some Grocery Market protests here not too far back and they were making threats to those wanting to still shop at these markets but the thing is we still have to eat. It is when they make unrealistic demands that tend to drive away potential employees that is where i draw the line. A GM Union member may make up to 30$ per hr. That is a lot of cash and if they make demands that it is not enough and require a pay raise, i would raise an eye brow at that action. Maybe they don't need a huge house, a new BMW, expensive vocations, designer clothing, the point is some do not live within there means and are not content with what they have. Of course i am not accusing you of such because how can i as i do not know you personally. Perhaps you are a part of not being the worse Union out there.

I also am against big corporations when they create a monopoly and are connected to Government. Also i hate Imperialism and the fact that we occupy other countries, this is very wrong. With the corruption going on in some of these companies, many are better off being independent free lancers. It can be done. Believe me, my life sucks. I am on Welfare and want to get back to work badly and stop getting Government handouts. I live in the poverty line in one of the areas that was hit the hardest during the housing downturn.

It is good that you understand the main topic. I tend to go off because i am a visionary with big ideas and dream of better tomorrows. Artist mentality.  ;) If not in this life, then the next. I am always an optimist.

Kadri

Quote from: ChrisC on April 07, 2012, 01:27:04 PM
...I am on Welfare and want to get back to work badly and stop getting Government handouts. I live in the poverty line in one of the areas that was hit the hardest during the housing downturn...

Sorry to hear this! I hope you will get better Chris.

AP

Quote from: Kadri on April 07, 2012, 01:59:49 PM
Quote from: ChrisC on April 07, 2012, 01:27:04 PM
...I am on Welfare and want to get back to work badly and stop getting Government handouts. I live in the poverty line in one of the areas that was hit the hardest during the housing downturn...

Sorry to hear this! I hope you will get better Chris.

No worries, every day i persevere and know that in spite of this necessary dependency i can in time develop skills to where i can eventually thrive in the market place and can take it with me where ever there is a better economy. I can then finally say good bye to my folks.    :)

penang

Quote from: calico on March 29, 2012, 11:17:34 AMhttp://vfxsoldier.wordpress.com/2012/03/26/the-paying-to-work-for-free-vfx-business-model/

Interesting article.  Hope to see somebody touch this one.   :o

When the news came, several weeks ago, that one of the major VFX studio has branched out to China, at that time I already had suspicions that they were going to do what they do in the States, in China

Maybe they can make more money in China that way