All these worlds...

Started by raymoh, February 03, 2019, 03:07:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raymoh

Under this thread I want to introduce some of my (newer and older) astronomical art renders, made with Terragen 3 and 4.
One the one hand, the depicted landscapes and sceneries are purely fictional, but on the other hand I try to be as realistic as possible and integrating the known facts of exoplanets in my renders (so for example the apparent diameters of planets and suns, light conditions on the surface, colors and atmospheric conditions...).
Because I have an affinity to astronomy and astrophysics , some descriptions will be a little ,,scientific".

[attach=1]

Let's imagine the antipodes of the Solar System:  A place in space, about 60'000 lightyears away from here, behind the center of the milky way galaxy.
The inhabitable moon of an entirely water-covered Super-Earth orbiting a young Class A main sequence star, part of a triple system with two red dwarfs, visible over the horizon.

[attach=2]

This is the surface of the above mentioned Ocean Planet. The ocean of this planet covers the entire surface; no continents, no isles.
It reaches down several hundred kilometers (or miles, if you wish) with an immense pressure at the bottom, creating exotic materials like "Ice VII". It's not clear if such a planet is habitable (for humans) or not, despite the water. Because the planet is a Super-Earth (bigger and more massive than earth) the atmosphere also is very dense and under heavy pressure.
"I consider global warming much less dangerous than global dumbing down"   (Lisa Fitz, German comedian)

cyphyr

The Ocean Planet in very impressive, great work on the water.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

mhaze

Yeah! Great work, especially the ocean.

DannyG

New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

RichTwo

Always a fan of sci-fi (or sci-probability) images - you are off to a great start!
They're all wasted!

DocCharly65

raymoh

Thanks to all of you for your comments.
Other renders will follow.
"I consider global warming much less dangerous than global dumbing down"   (Lisa Fitz, German comedian)

raymoh

Another render of my "archive":

A panoramic view of an upcoming thunderstorm on a habitable exomoon.
This earth-like moon orbits a Jupiter-like host planet somewhere in the universe. The gas giant itself revolves in the habitable zone around a sun-like main sequence star. So to say a ,,warm" Jupiter.
Billions of years ago, the gas giant formed in the outer regions of this system, then moved in by gravitational perturbances to its present position, stable for the next couple of billions of years. This movement devastates and changed the whole system, by ejecting planets in the interstellar space or in the sun itself.
I am supposing a geologically very active moon with a ,,heavy climate", because the near gas giant is affecting its moon with his gravitation much more than our moon is affecting the earth.
Big tides not only in the water but also in the atmosphere, so severe climatic events are common, but life is very adaptable.

raymoh

My newest render: An early and frosty morning on Mars on an ancient landslide, and I mean a really ,,frosty" morning, about -90° Celsius. At night the carbon dioxide in the atmosphere has frozen and, with the rising sun it will sublimate soon.

[attach=1]

It was a little tricky to create the half buried fake stones, partly covered with dust.

Kadri

Nice images. I like especially the second one.

raymoh

A new render of my "Red Worlds"-series:

[attach=1]

An imaginary view of the surface of Barnard's Star b, the nearest exoplanet orbiting a single star.

archonforest

Nice. Perfect for a Riddick movie.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

raymoh

A suborbital flight over an habitable exomoon orbiting a gas giant:

[attach=1]

Only Terragen 4 and a minor color correction