work-around for slow PT reflection calculation

Started by Dune, March 23, 2021, 12:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I also gotta say, this looks like a great idea, at the cost of quality.

But I do notice your reflection tests seem to be rendering longer than my PT projection reflection tests. Additionally, if you were to do it in photoshop, it would be perfect, and the PT would render faster then even OBJ reflections.

Your crop tests take about as long as the SR render, and aren't even the full scene. I can do the full scene in about the same time to export reflections, and the PT renders in about half of the time for an object crop for full scene! Then  you can composite in reflections in PS and have a highly detailed scene. In my opinion, will still be faster than an OBJ.

Kadri

Quote from: WAS on March 30, 2021, 02:47:02 PMIF 1 is the object, that's even worse, as so much of the terrain detail was changed from the source. Img 2 has a lot of connected details that are severed in image 1.

I named them especially like 1 and 2 because i knew you could make still an objection. But hoped you won't...

WAS

Why wouldn't I? You admitted there is a difference on numerous occasions, it's obvious to me, and if I were doing a scene, such a difference would bother me. If it doesn't bother you, that's fine. Don't argue it continuously. x.x You keep arguing my opinion, and excusing other suggestions, it's a little annoying. I've tested objects plenty now. Have you even tried a projection or composite?

Kadri

Quote from: WAS on March 30, 2021, 02:53:31 PMI also gotta say, this looks like a great idea, at the cost of quality.

But I do notice your reflection tests seem to be rendering longer than my PT projection reflection tests. Additionally, if you were to do it in photoshop, it would be perfect, and the PT would render faster then even OBJ reflections.

Your crop tests take about as long as the SR render, and aren't even the full scene. I can do the full scene in about the same time to export reflections, and the PT renders in about half of the time for an object crop for full scene! Then  you can composite in reflections in PS and have a highly detailed scene. In my opinion, will still be faster than an OBJ.
Could be...i don't know how you use them fully.

WAS

Note on planes: A "plane" works to export, but is above 2gb for my ocean test so I can't load it. THe lake doesn't export.

It would be cool if in the future you could have multiple objects in a scene, like planes for water, and they export as object parts. So you could apply materials separately.

WAS

Wait, Kadri, you can load files over 2gb? So this is a new issue? You mentioned TG was able to load numerous huge objects?

Kadri

Quote from: WAS on March 30, 2021, 03:05:48 PMWait, Kadri, you can load files over 2gb? So this is a new issue? You mentioned TG was able to load numerous huge objects?

I am a little confused about that now. I will test my old and new free version and post the results here.

Kadri

I tested with 3 different size of objects.

Free version v4.5.56:

7.3 Gb No!
3.9 Gb No!
1.9 GB Yes!

Old full version v4.1.25:

7.3 Gb No!
3.9 Gb Yes!
1.9 GB Yes!

The new free version can only load objects around 2 Gb.
While the old full version can load objects around of 4 Gb (probably as i haven't tested with 5-6 Gb objects).
I looked at the version (free-full) comparison page and couldn't find a limit related to the difference.

As CPU and Ram is getting faster and bigger would be good to have higher limits.

My confusion was a little because of that too. In the past a 500-900 Mb obj file was big to me.
Now i use 2-3 GB files easily and more then one of them in a scene.

Dune

I get the strange feeling that even if I uncheck the previously used microexporter, a render also adjusts the object. Hmmm. I had made an obj of just the sea, imported and attached a new water shader without displacement, also enabled my sea bottom fake stones again, rendered fine. But when I looked at the obj it had changed in size and comprised of just the latest crop, and also had the fake stones of seabottom.
I did use a normal render, not render to disk.

Btw, I couldn't load a 2.4 gig obj, so I decreased mpd to 0.25, kept size of total render at 1800px wide. Then the first obj was 250MB (before it got mysteriously adjusted).

Kadri

Ulco i don't know if this is your problem.
But even a normal render (without rendering to disc) is exporting the obj.
I had made the same mistake before too.
You have to unplug the micro exporter to not to overwrite the obj file accidentally.

But just unchecking should work logically. If not that is something that should change in Terragen.

Kadri

Ulco i made a test and unchecking the micro exporter worked as it should be. No new object was exported.
But this was in v4.1.25. I can't test the newer free version as it doesn't have microexporting.

Could be a new bug or you accidentally made a render (as it doesn't need a render to disc) while it was still checked maybe.

Kadri

Quote from: Dune on March 31, 2021, 07:05:09 AM...
Btw, I couldn't load a 2.4 gig obj, so I decreased mpd to 0.25, kept size of total render at 1800px wide. Then the first obj was 250MB (before it got mysteriously adjusted).
Depending on software the limit of 32 bit is between 2 GB to 4 Gb so far i know.
The interesting thing is that the old version can go up to 4 GB while the newer one only to 2 GB as it looks in this case.

Dune

I may do another test with the micro-exporter checked/unchecked. Perhaps it's a bug. Can't really remember what I did, so have to doublecheck.

Yes, the 2GB limit is probably a bug.

In the menatime I learned that also for a water object it works as expected (making object from sphere, lake doesn't work, like WAS observed too). Here's 4 tests. Guess what's what, and I'll reveal later ;)
There's choice between SR (0.5mpd and AA4); object based or MP based, and PT (mpd 0.5 AA6); object based and MP based.

Kadri

Quote from: Dune on March 31, 2021, 08:58:14 AM...
(making object from sphere, lake doesn't work, like WAS observed too).

No. They work too. But you have to change to "Force displacement" in every object node.

Kadri

Nice tests. There are differences but all of them usable.
Render time differences by the way?