Artifacts- Atmo appears through terrain

Started by choronr, February 17, 2009, 01:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: choronr on February 17, 2009, 07:55:36 PM
Reduced AA from 14 to 6; and, the problem still exists.

Again I wasn't saying this would help :) lol...it seems you were very eager to solve this :P
I was thinking out loud how the software works/behaves.

Glad to see resolution-reduction seemed to help, though it makes me wonder why.
Think it must have to do with renderbucket-size related to the resolution (and maybe AA as well).
Never mind, just think out loud again :)

Oshyan

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on February 18, 2009, 02:50:38 AM

Again I wasn't saying this would help :) lol...it seems you were very eager to solve this :P

Think it must have to do with renderbucket-size related to the resolution (and maybe AA as well).
That's my thinking exactly - changing the resolution moved the render bucket borders. The problem may still exist though, it might just occur in a different place.

Bob, are you using a lot of displacement here?

- Oshyan

choronr

Quote from: Oshyan on February 18, 2009, 02:57:35 AM
Quote from: Tangled-Universe on February 18, 2009, 02:50:38 AM

Hi Oshyan,

Yes, I've used minimal displacements on base colors and four surface layers. You can see these in the .tgd file. The terrain includes strata/outcrops as well.

Bob
That's my thinking exactly - changing the resolution moved the render bucket borders. The problem may still exist though, it might just occur in a different place.

Bob, are you using a lot of displacement here?

- Oshyan

Cyber-Angel

If you use the magnification tool built into TG2 you will find that these artifacts and small [and some larger] holes in the terrain, it should be noted that as far as I know the issue did not exist in the version of TG2 we had at the time of the release of build 1.10.23.1 which is the beta we have today. Why this happens I have not been able to determine, but has others have noted it dose seem to be related to some kind of displacement issue. I hope these few words help track down the route cause of the issue.  ;D

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel       

choronr

Quote from: Cyber-Angel on February 18, 2009, 05:36:52 PM
If you you the magnification tool built into TG2 you will find that these artifacts and small [and some larger] holes in the terrain, it should be noted that as far as I know the issue did not exist in the version of TG2 we had at the time of the release of build 1.10.23.1 which is the beta we have today. Why this happens I have not been able to determine, but has others have noted it dose seem to be related to some kind of displacement issue. I hope these few words help track down the route cause of the issue.  ;D

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel       
Thanks C-A, I'll be looking for another POV on the terrain and using the same settings. Through some earlier suggestions by T-U, I'll be making some adjustments to see whether or not I run into the same problem.

Bob

Matt

Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

RArcher

If you need additional files where this tearing of the displacement happens let me know and I can provide a few.

choronr

Quote from: RArcher on February 20, 2009, 11:10:05 AM
If you need additional files where this tearing of the displacement happens let me know and I can provide a few.
Thanks RA, I might be needing them in a few days.

choronr

Quote from: Matt on February 20, 2009, 03:42:52 AM
I'm investigating this now.

Matt

Thanks Matt; hope you find something on this.

Bob

Tangled-Universe

Hi Matt,

Did you already have time to investigate this?
I'm having serious problems rendering a scene because of these artifacts as you can see in the image below.
Tried many different resolutions and rendersettings, but can't get rid of them.
If you'd like I can send you the .tgd.

Thanks in advance,

Martin

Mohawk20

I'd say your displacements are way to large to handle...
Howgh!

Oshyan

Nice rock formations! We're currently investigating these displacement rendering issues. I do think it may be helpful to send your TGD in. You can use the support address, support AT planetside.co.uk

- Oshyan

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Oshyan on March 09, 2009, 04:11:03 AM
Nice rock formations! We're currently investigating these displacement rendering issues. I do think it may be helpful to send your TGD in. You can use the support address, support AT planetside.co.uk

- Oshyan

Thanks for your response oshyan.
Yesterday I spent about 5 hours solving this, from which 2 together with FrankB. We were unable to resolve the responsible nodes.
Therefore I sent an email to Matt himself. However, next time I will send it to the appropriate address.

Martin

Oshyan

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on March 09, 2009, 07:05:59 AM
Quote from: Oshyan on March 09, 2009, 04:11:03 AM

- Oshyan

Thanks for your response oshyan.
Yesterday I spent about 5 hours solving this, from which 2 together with FrankB. We were unable to resolve the responsible nodes.
Therefore I sent an email to Matt himself. However, next time I will send it to the appropriate address.

Martin

That's fine, he is the one working directly on it anyway. :)

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

TU, thanks for doing this.  I'm assuming you have been working on the package for Frank's site.  Whether yes or no, your work will benefit us all.  Thank you.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?