Jungle - RTO version @ page 5

Started by Tangled-Universe, April 02, 2009, 11:58:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

Looks nice, hopefully you can get it to render. At this point it does look like it may be memory-related, even though it's not *at* the 4GB limit. I don't suppose you had any other apps running at the time?

The intention of rendering at lower detail was indeed to try to reduce memory. Actually reducing AA may be the better approach, and if you can handle lower AA (maybe with a softer pixel filter) it will actually render and look pretty good?

- Oshyan

Tangled-Universe

Thanks Oshyan,

And no, I didn't had anything else running while rendering.
I have 8GB RAM so other running apps can benefit from the other GB's left over.

You say it is not *at* the 4GB limit, but TG2 is 32-bit and theoritically can use 4GB in a 64-bit OS, but is it really capable of?

I did another overnight render with reduced crop-size and that again had problems. Got 6 traceray errors and 3 of the 4 threads were dead without further warning.
Also the GI-prepass had 2 completely black (bucket)holes. It was still rendering, but with 1 core and it wasn't at 20% even, so that would take an eternity to finish. So I aborted it.

I can lower AA and choose another pixel-filter, but honestly I really like the settings now as they are, however they are quite demanding.

Martin

Oshyan

I've used TG2 just about up to the 4GB limit, so it can go to that level, albeit a bit dangerously. Although the fixes in the coming update are not specifically for bucket crashing and some of your other issues, I'm still curious whether it will have any effect for some of your problems.

- Oshyan

Marcos Silveira

OH  ::) MY FUCKING  ::) LOVELY SHIT!!!!
This is Amazing!!!
::) Definitely deserves to be in the Official Website.

Seth

MacGyver

What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine

Tangled-Universe

Thanks for your enthusiasm Ro-nin :)

Though Seth has great sense of crude humour :) he's also right. With those errors there is still not much to see, but this screenshot, unfortunately.

I'm trying to render this with the beta, but it is not backwards-compatible with the latest version, because the way models are being handled is changed. So this will take a while, unfortunately.

I also mentioned this image has some holes in terrain errors, so maybe it is even best to wait for the update/patch?

Martin

Tangled-Universe

Ok, think I solved the problem so far.
So for everyone who's rendering complicated/heavy stuff. Keep the cache as low as possible.
On my system this will not result in missing buckets/broken threads.
Monday this should be finished after 2 overnight renders :)

Martin

Oshyan

Ah! I'm glad that solved the problem. :)

Frankly there is seldom a reason to change the cache from defaults, as was also the case in TG Classic (0.9x). Many people experimented with the cache, hoping it would improve render time or have some other positive effect, but in 99% of cases it does not. We choose default values with the intention of minimizing the need to change it, though the setting is provided for those few cases where it may be needed to adjust it.

The danger is in finding a setting that works for one particular scene, and assuming you must use the same setting for all other scenes to avoid the same problem you may have solved in that scene with these settings. One should always start with default settings and only change them if it seems like it may resolve a particular issue. If it does not immediately resolve the issue, always remember to change it back to defaults.

- Oshyan

Tangled-Universe

Thanks again for explaining and this time for everybody else. Very useful.
The first half is nearly finished.

The reduced cache size gives different memory-statistics (of course):
RAM usage = 1,8GB (instead of 3.1)
VM Size = 2,3GB (instead of 3.8)

Nice to have a stable render now with still all 4 threads going strong :P

Martin

MacGyver

Cool to have it rendering now... Did you lower your quality settings at all?
What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: MacGyver on April 12, 2009, 08:09:42 AM

No ;D

It was really the disadvantage of using too large render-cache size which caused the render-problems.
No I have lowered it, it renders fine and in reasonable times. The first half took 11h30m.
Next half will be rendered tonight and the first final will be posted tomorrow-morning.

buzzzzz1

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on April 12, 2009, 09:03:30 AM
Quote from: MacGyver on April 12, 2009, 08:09:42 AM

No ;D

It was really the disadvantage of using too large render-cache size which caused the render-problems.
No I have lowered it, it renders fine and in reasonable times. The first half took 11h30m.
Next half will be rendered tonight and the first final will be posted tomorrow-morning.
Looking Forward to seeing you First Final.  First Final?  Is that an Oxymoron?  Sounds Familiar?   ;)
XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

Tangled-Universe

Haha yes oxymoron alert :)...you know me...when someone has good suggestions I'm mostly willing to implement them...that would be a second final then ;)

Mohawk20

Howgh!