Recent posts

Image Sharing / Re: Canyon series 1
Last post by Dune - March 30, 2024, 12:22:45 PM
That's what I understand as well. I'm actually curious if a simple color (even blue node) would render very differently.
Last post by Tangled-Universe - March 30, 2024, 12:20:56 PM
Quote from: blattacker on March 29, 2024, 02:13:19 PMDoing some quick experimentation on my end, the lambert shader does seem to take longer to render with the path tracer, but color seems to have a more pronounced effect. For reference, the experiment I did was just two simple shape shaders with no other displacement, and I tested rendering with the default "Base colours" pf shader, the default pf edited to introduce color rather than just greyscale values, a lambert shader with a grey value, and a lambert shader with a color value. All other setting remained the same. My results were:
  • Render Settings: 800 x 450; 0.5 Micropoly detail; 3 Anti-aliasing (all default settings); Path Tracer; Max paths per sample 144 (high value to approximate a "worst case scenario")
  • Greyscale PF shader: 54 seconds
  • Color PF shader: 2 minutes 43 seconds
  • Greyscale lambert shader: 2 minutes 30 seconds
  • Color lambert shader: 8 minutes 1 second
Perhaps a workaround to try it out with the path tracer would be to render it out in greyscale and then either add color in post or process it like a black and white photograph?

Thanks for taking the time and effort to look into this. I already did similar tests last week and reported my findings to the team. Something might be going on, but may be also not. Let's see.
My conclusions are similar, somehow bright saturated colours take a big hit in this situation.
It's fine the PT is slower, but usually not 100x. Rather 1.5-10x slower.

Your findings are similar to mine, but some info is lacking.
For example, lambert and surface shader render at equal speed for me.
PF is faster, but that's because the low colour is black. Setting both to the same colour as lambert results in only slightly slower render, which makes sense since to me.

Your suggestion at the end can't work, because with grey colour you basically omit GI. All the various shades and saturations of colours you see in the renders come from GI.

Quote from: blattacker on March 30, 2024, 04:20:51 AM
Quote from: Dune on March 30, 2024, 03:35:27 AMPerhaps the (expensive) way of calculating light?
I think that might be the case. If my (extremely basic) understanding of rendering principles is correct, I believe Lambert shading is a form of reflective shading, albeit diffused reflections. I would guess that those diffuse reflections require additional calculation. Moving into pure speculation, color would likely increase calculation time as it would reduce the amount of bulk operations that could be performed, since each ray could have different color values based on what color(s) it picked up (or, as it works in the real world, I guess it would be which colors/wavelengths got absorbed rather than reflected) along the way, but again, that's just pure conjecture on my part. I'm not quite clear on the scope of the physical aspect of physically based rendering.

Lambert shader is a diffuse shader. Nothing special going on with that compared to the colour from a PF or a surface layer. Those are lambertian models too.
My lambert also does not use translucency and the (test)scenes also don't have reflectivity. It's only 1 simple diffuse lambert shader.
As I said normally PT renders 1.5-10x slower, depending on a lot of scene-related factors, but this performance hit is unusual in my experience.
Terragen Discussion / Re: Pixel gaps in rendering
Last post by Dune - March 30, 2024, 12:20:26 PM
Mmmm, interesting to see if something turns up.
Last post by sboerner - March 30, 2024, 10:11:27 AM
That's a good idea. The artifacts did not appear until the foliage was added to the scene. There are many populations, but I've done similar scenes before, some that had much larger populations. So maybe it has something to do with a particular one.

I usually do overnight renderings anyway, so it's easy to test. I'll start by resetting the filter to Mitchel-Netravali to see if the artifacts reappear. If they do I'll start disabling the pops one at a time.

To answer your first question, they usually appear over foliage, but they've also shown up on the water surface.
Last post by blattacker - March 30, 2024, 04:20:51 AM
Quote from: Dune on March 30, 2024, 03:35:27 AMPerhaps the (expensive) way of calculating light?
I think that might be the case. If my (extremely basic) understanding of rendering principles is correct, I believe Lambert shading is a form of reflective shading, albeit diffused reflections. I would guess that those diffuse reflections require additional calculation. Moving into pure speculation, color would likely increase calculation time as it would reduce the amount of bulk operations that could be performed, since each ray could have different color values based on what color(s) it picked up (or, as it works in the real world, I guess it would be which colors/wavelengths got absorbed rather than reflected) along the way, but again, that's just pure conjecture on my part. I'm not quite clear on the scope of the physical aspect of physically based rendering.
Last post by Dune - March 30, 2024, 03:35:27 AM
Interesting. Might well be the Lambert indeed. I wonder what's so 'special' about it, makes it different from say a one color surface shader, it looks so basic. Perhaps the (expensive) way of calculating light?
Last post by Dune - March 30, 2024, 02:51:52 AM
Do they also appear in say sky, or barren TG ground? It would be interesting (but work) to disable stuff per pop/object, and see if there's still anything inside them that causes the filter to do something.
Terragen Animation / Re: Cyan Eyed Biomes | Part 1 ...
Last post by Dune - March 30, 2024, 02:46:46 AM
I'm keen on small details myself (and - real - bird watcher, so small details matter). And I know how long it takes to get them perfect.

Yeah, it's in its last stages. Had a few proofreaders, so I'm rearranging/rewriting some stuff now, and hopefully send it to a publisher in the next weeks. One (big one) has already shown interest, or, I should say, the head editor was pretty positive about the first paragraphs. So I'll start with her, and hopefully get it out.
In short it's (of course) about a walled city with an oppressive regime, young woman finding forbidden info, and figuring out a way to see what's behind that wall (which nobody knows, due to the regime's secrecy - familiar, huh?). She meets an orphan boy, and they have to go together due to circumstances, and hopefully find what she (they) are looking for in life. It's actually about thinking beyond your box, showing interest and having guts to go beyond your boundaries. There are 4 story lines, slowly entwining (the orphan is not really an orphan, he finds out in the very end, and his parents took a terrible decison once, and father is trying to locate his 'sold' son). And of course there's a secret service agent looking for them. Setting is futuristic, but not overly so, and I take the opportunity to weave in some subtle ideas about society, and human behavior in general.
It's in Dutch of course (for the time being ::) )
Terragen Animation / Re: Cyan Eyed Biomes | Part 1 ...
Last post by Njen - March 30, 2024, 01:39:29 AM
I'm happy that those small details were noticed, I spent a lot of time fine tuning those.

Wow, you are writing a novel? I'd love to know more when you are ready to share, sounds like you are writing stories I'd be very much interested in.
Last post by sboerner - March 29, 2024, 05:34:29 PM
I can understand why a filter or some other post process might product artifacts. Apparently, that is what is happening here. At least changing the filter has fixed it for now.

I also got similar artifacts when I tried to override the subdivision cache. (Just missing, black pixels, no strange patterns.) I've disabled the override and they too seem to have gone away.

One puzzling thing about the artifacts is that they always appeared in different locations. Sometimes there was just one, other times two, three or four. So they seem independent of any geometry or surface in the scene. The only constant is that they always showed up in the first 25 percent or so of the rendering.

Memory issue? My machine has 64GB of RAM, and it passed the Windows memory test I did when this all started. And the fact that they occurred on two machines tells me the problem isn't related to hardware.