Another Plant Modeling App

Started by j meyer, June 24, 2013, 11:35:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

I just watched the tuts for Tree sketch. Unbelievable! Have you guys looked at this yet? Its really quite amazing!
It has been eaten.

rcallicotte

Thanks j meyer.  Checking it out now.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

TheBadger

Some images tuts and info/discussion

http://www.ronenbekerman.com/forums/attachments/landscape-vegetation/6106d1322052093-treesketch-2-0-treesketch_testkizo.jpg

http://www.artstorm.net/journal/2011/08/treesketch2-ipad-lightwave-3d/

Yeah! thanks J. And Efflux for pointing out the bit about Sketch. The other parts in the OP seemed too complex. Same thing bad UI? Or all together different?
It has been eaten.

efflux

I think the tech behind how the trees get built is the same across all those apps. I managed to play enough to see how vlab works but it's totally unusable from a UI stand point. You can see the results and it's extremely good and very advanced. There is no mesh output in any standard usable for other apps format though. It's a real shame there isn't a usable UI apart from TreeSketch.

Also, as far as I know Xcode on OSX can run ipad apps but only from source code so that angle is dead unless anyone knows of some kind of ipad emulator.

I find all this a bit sad. Why is this only in the app store for free so you have to shell out to Apple for an ipad? They could build a basic desktop app and sell the thing without the need for Apple involvement. It wouldn't even have to nearly as fancy as Treesketch just usable.

Also, the way vlab constructs the trees is so like Plant Factory that it makes me wonder where Plant Factory came from. Shaping of leaves etc. it's all the same.

efflux

Take a look at this page. This seems to be in vlab:

http://algorithmicbotany.org/papers/

I can't find a screenshot I found before where vlab had edit windows for stuff. It seems you can define your own edit functions for windows by adding data to text files. I've trashed my Linux system by screwing up the bootloader at the moment so can't try the Linux version but I think it's similar across all three platforms. Only Treesketch is any good though because it has usable mesh output formats.

inkydigit

I downloaded treesketch onto my wife's iPad last night(shhh!) it really is very cool and has a lot of scope... I need to follow some tutorials though, but it is certainly is quick and easy to pick up and have fun, whilst generating some great looking trees!

efflux

I tried Treesketch because I now have an iPad Air. It is an awesome app. However, I bought the iPad to use Procreate. That's an awesome drawing app, pity about the iPad's totally chronic pen screen tech. As for iOS, well that's a bad joke compared to Android. I had to get a Samsung Galaxy Note 2014 2.3 GHz quad core in the end. The iPad is useless for drawing but the Samsung is an awesome drawing computer. I did find a use for the iPad in the end though so I'm keeping it. I'm running Lemur which is a music controller so I still have Treesketch. Not sure if I'll ultimately use it but it's very cool.

Upon Infinity

Quote from: TheBadger on June 27, 2013, 04:19:17 AM

this is why its free : "Welcome to Algorithmic Botany, the website of the Biological Modeling and Visualization research group in the Department of Computer Science at the University of Calgary."

In that case, it's not free.  I'M paying for it with taxes.  And you're welcome.   ;)

TheBadger

Still have not seen any TG renders with these models, that I know of.
It has been eaten.

folder

ihave tree sketch made a couple of trees. downloaded as obj only choice put the result into tg and the end product was a black outline with some highlights. do i have to convert the object somehow before putting it into tg3. not very experienced if you want i can upload the product from speedtree to the forum and let you guys try

david

yossam

If you are talking about Tree Sketch output I would like to see it...............there could be some simple map issues.  :)

folder

Guys here are two files in dropbox trees made in sketch pad. i promise no virus - see what you can do with then if you can show me how and they meet expectations i will provide more
david

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hviaeqiqohcguge/Tree6-3-13_10_08_PM.zip?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jaaon3tkrxc760p/Tree6-3-13_11_12_PM.zip?dl=0

yossam

Here you go................I ran them thru Poseray. I adjusted the values for spec.....way too high. This is just a quickie at medium quality and AA.

folder

do you think these are good enough quality for tg. i have never used poseray. so can you provide some steps

thanks

david

archonforest

Quote from: yossam on October 01, 2014, 09:21:38 PM
Here you go................I ran them thru Poseray. I adjusted the values for spec.....way too high. This is just a quickie at medium quality and AA.
Wow, looks pretty good!
It should be on PC too... :(
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd